Talk

Advanced search

Call out to vets - cat possibly ate a piece of string

(8 Posts)
MEgirl Sun 21-Apr-19 17:26:38

I left a bowl of gravy and meat shreds on the floor for one of our cats. Stupidly, I also left a piece of the elasticated string that holds joints together in the bowl. I can't find it anywhere and am worried she might have eaten it. Should I be concerned and get her checked out or will it pass through easily?

OP’s posts: |
Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-Apr-19 18:05:25

It might or it might cheesewire her intestines. You need to ring 5he vets.

You’ll never leave string out again though.

Minkies11 Sun 21-Apr-19 18:10:44

Definitely ring the vet. Is there an out of hours or animal hospital you could try? At least you've caught it early.

MEgirl Sun 21-Apr-19 19:05:18

Have spoken to a vetinerary hospital. On their advice we are keeping an eye on her. Should there be a change we'll take her straight in.

OP’s posts: |
GinZing Sun 21-Apr-19 19:14:11

Some years ago my cat ate one those tinsel shreds which was hanging on the Christmas tree. We didn’t know until it came out; squeaky clean, sticking out straight and proud. We had to keep snipping it off until it finally stopped coming.

Minkies11 Sun 21-Apr-19 21:22:02

If you see something sticking out of your cats bum please don't pull - could be still twisted up inside and could cause serious injury! (My vet told me this when dcat1chewed the tassels off my mat)

CatMomma Sun 21-Apr-19 22:56:19

Had this recently with fat cat. He chewed and ate the string off a cat toy. Probably around 30cm. Kept an eye on him for vom, diarrhoea, sore bloated tummy and he started to pass it in 2 inch lengths over the course of a week. If it starts poking out the bum then snip it short as pulling can cause damage to their insides.

Accidents happen, don't beat yourself up about it. I didn't sleep properly or leave the house until I found the first piece in the litter tray and realised he'd chewed it into short bits. Chances are it will come out by itself and if not there are things the vet can do to remove it. As long as you act fast if your puss starts showing signs of being unwell then everything should be fine.

RMarieClaire Tue 23-Apr-19 22:22:04

My cat eats everything - hair bands, metal cat food sachets, plastic (he particular loves plastic). It's so scary when they do this but 9 times out of 10 all is ok. Keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't lose his appetite. Make sure he's also going to the toilet regularly (maybe lock him in for 48 hours if he goes outside. Mine usually gets whatever he's consumed out - one end or the other - within a day or two.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in