Talk

Advanced search

Wet food problem.

(15 Posts)
Dontgiveamonkeys1350 Sat 06-Apr-19 09:21:57

I have posted about this before. But I really don’t know what to do.

He refuses any wet food. I have been and bought so many. And I have been through all the expensive ones as well. U name it. I have tried it.

Yet. When I went to the vets I was told he has to eat wet food.

I have tried raw , chicken , he ate fish for a while and now he won’t. I have tried just being strong and leaving it down and nope.

How bad is it when they just eat dry food. He is 11. And has a heart murmur.

OP’s posts: |
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 06-Apr-19 10:59:05

Mine goes through stages off this, sometimes he'll eat wet food straight down, other times he looks at me as though I'm trying to poison him.

What reason has the vet given that he has to be on wet food? Mine has early CKD and was supposed to be in renal food but refused to eat it. In the end the vet said to let him eat what he wanted as it was better for him to eat something

Dontgiveamonkeys1350 Sat 06-Apr-19 11:26:46

She just said he should be. I’m spending so much money. And have so many packets letter laying around. I’m on the verge on giving up. But I want to do what is right for him.

Vinorosso74 Sat 06-Apr-19 12:06:43

Have you tried warming the good slightly? The stronger smell can make it more tempting.
Does he drink much (whether it be fresh or from puddles)? Cats don't always drink enough and their natural diet would be higher in moisture than an all dry food diet. Am guessing the vet is suggesting it for kidney or bladder health. Not sure how you can get an older cat to learn new tricks as such!

Vinorosso74 Sat 06-Apr-19 12:06:58

*food

madcatladyforever Sat 06-Apr-19 12:18:18

My cat is 17 and has hyperthyroidism and whatever chrones disease is called in a cat. She is supposed to be on only vets prescription dry diet which she hates and I feel it is compromising her remaining quality of life.
I've experimented with various foods and now she has organic wet cat food which suits her just fine, in fact she has less diarrhoea than she used to because she isn't drinking water all day long like she used to on the dry food. She's also put on weight and isn't horrendously skinny any more.
I think you need to weigh up health versus quality of life, but whatever you give your cat make sure it's a really good quality product.
there must be a vets precription dry food that would be adequate for your cat.

TheQueef Sat 06-Apr-19 12:20:28

The soup one was the only thing my late DCat would eat for wet.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 06-Apr-19 14:14:13

To be honest I would just feed him a high quality dry and make sure he’s got lots of fresh water around. Mine only eats James Wellbeloved (I know there are better brands but he likes it) and at his age I’m not going to change him now.

I wouldn’t bother with the vet prescription stuff unless there’s a medical need, I think a lot of it is filled with rubbish.

Dontgiveamonkeys1350 Sat 06-Apr-19 14:21:49

I finally got him off whiskers dried. I tried so so so so many. Then I tried Lily’s kitchen and he will eat that.

I have been putting it in the mircowave to heat up as I saw that on here somewhere. But. Still no.

I don’t see what else I can do to be honest.

mimibunz Sat 06-Apr-19 14:27:26

Will he eat real tuna?

HuggedTheRedwoods Sat 06-Apr-19 15:05:36

Does he like treats? If so, try crumbling a couple on top of the meat. Also re the heating, I do this too (usually stand the pouch in a jug of hot'ish water for about 30 seconds) but only so its mildly warm, I think the trick is to not overheat.

Dontgiveamonkeys1350 Sat 06-Apr-19 16:28:01

He does eat tuna. But my vet said he should be on packaged wet food. I wish there was just one answer to this. I just want what is best for him. Not bothered about the price really. Just want him to be getting the food he actually wants to eat

AnnaMagnani Sat 06-Apr-19 16:36:41

Did the vet explain why he has to eat wet food apart from a general 'I think it is better for cats to eat some wet food for their kidneys'?

Because not all vets think that. Lots of vets are perfectly happy with cats eating dry food - and so are many cats. Lots of us have had happy cats who have lived to ripe old ages on a dry food only diet - I have one sat next to me right now.

If the vet has a specific reason why your cat should eat wet food then I'd be going back right now and asking for it. Given your cat's total lack of interest in it and that this is supposed to be in the cause of increasing the cat's happiness and quality of life.

If vet can give a really good reason, then I think I posted this on your last thread but have you been through Zooplus, including the complementary wet foods?

Wet food my old cat has enjoyed most in all the world was Schesir - but I only bought it the once, think I'd decided I was sorry for her. She thought she had died and gone to heaven. Really she is very happy eating the same flavour kibble day in day out.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 06-Apr-19 16:37:50

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/257971591

That's what we ended up feeding our fussy cat who also has to be on wet food,we'd tried everything !

The other thing you can do is poor warm water on the dry food and see if it gets eaten.

Tbh at 11 I'd feed whatever he wanted unless he has a history of urinary problems.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 06-Apr-19 16:56:13

To be honest, if he's happy on dry and it's reasonable quality then I'd stick with it. The only reason I don't let Harry have only dry is because it causes him an issue with his previously broken jaw if he has too much.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in