Talk

Advanced search

Claws!

(8 Posts)
HB2019 Sat 23-Mar-19 18:11:31

Hiya!
How do I discourage my 8 year old moggie (gorgeous big black boy), from using his claws? When we cuddle and he goes to touch my face his claws are out. When he's padding me his claws are out. When we're just relaxing on the sofa he'll get his claws out. Absolutely not aggressively but he's a gorgeous big boy and in excellent condition all over including his very sharp claws.
It's really starting to get to me and with a baby on the way I need him to be more gentle around the family.
Any help appreciated

OP’s posts: |
Allergictoironing Sat 23-Mar-19 20:36:49

You could try sort of patting the top of his paw very gently with the tip of your finger; one of my SiLs cats used to knead a lot and this encouraged her to retract the claws rather than use them.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 24-Mar-19 07:27:49

Cheddar kneads with her claws and like yours, is not aggressive, I just make sure they are trimmed very short. Then she doesn't tend to get them out as much. And I hold her paw if the kneading is getting too much. ( usually at 3 am )

Toddlerteaplease Sun 24-Mar-19 07:35:00

She likes patting my face. It's soo cute.

HB2019 Sun 24-Mar-19 11:31:53

@Toddlerteaplease I've never trimmed his claws, I didn't realise that was a thing blush

Toddlerteaplease Sun 24-Mar-19 12:21:42

Depends on the temperament of the cat!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 24-Mar-19 19:35:35

Does he go outside?

HB2019 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:09:33

Yeah he's out more than he's in, he sometimes comes home smelling of lavender... I have a sneaking suspicion he has a grandma down the road who loves him too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in