Talk

Advanced search

Pancreatitis help

(8 Posts)
ItchySeveredFoot Mon 18-Mar-19 09:50:06

My 13ish year old girl has been diagnosed with pancreatitis. After a course of painkillers she's back to her usual self. The problem is we're struggling with what to feed her. She's never been a greedy cat but on her new low fat diet she's always shouting for food.
Has anyone else been through this?

OP’s posts: |
Toddlerteaplease Mon 18-Mar-19 09:58:17

My girl had it a couple of years ago. How she survived remains a mystery. She was on deaths door for a week. She was originally syringe fed Royal Canin Recovery formula. She then had a feeding tube fitted. Fortunately she started eating when she got home, so it wasn't used for long. We did try Mirtazipine as it's meant to help their appetite.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 18-Mar-19 10:00:00

Oh sorry misread your post. I was told that low fat mars no difference in cats. Magic went back on to her Royal canin. Mine are currently on Iams vitality low fat. They love it, is that worth a try.

ItchySeveredFoot Mon 18-Mar-19 10:26:35

I was told she needs to be low fat. She likes the food she's on. And she's always had digestion issues (throwing up after eating) that no vet has ever seem bothered about. Since switching to low fat she hasn't been sick once!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 18-Mar-19 11:20:35

Maybe she had chronic pancreatitis that was causing the vomiting and now the low fat diet has resolved it. One of mine was always a big vomiter and pancreatitis was suggested as a cause. Very much doubt she has it and swapping to wheat free was the answer for her.

ItchySeveredFoot Mon 18-Mar-19 11:35:30

Possibly. I'm annoyed that no vet was ever interested.

Mia184 Mon 18-Mar-19 13:23:54

I got my cat from a shelter and was told that she had pancreatitis due to a food intolerance and I would have to feed her a special food that I could only get via a prescription from the vet that had treated her at the shelter. I asked the people at the shelter what was so special about the prescription food and they couldn't tell her. I then asked what the symptoms were and was told that she threw up after eating normal cat food.

Luckily, the people at the shelter gave my quite a lot of tins of that special cat food. Judging by the list of ingredients, it didn't look any different from any normal cat food. So I bought cat food that only contained meat and inner organs and started to mix it with the prescription food. I never picked up the prescription, Mia has been with me now for over two years and is on normal but premium cat food and only throws up the occasional hair ball.

The cat food I got her and still feed her is called Leonardo. It is German (I am in Germany) but Zooplus sells it: www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/leonardo

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 18-Mar-19 16:28:01

The fact that she is no longer vomitingbis good. Why was no vet interested before? Because at least 75% of cats intermittently vomit and work ups usually reveal nothing and there is no treatment. We only move to diets when there has been an acute flare of pancreatitis. Personally I don't do special diets unless there has been more than two episodes of acute pancreatitis.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in