Talk

Advanced search

How much do you feed your cat?

(12 Posts)
SabineUndine Wed 13-Mar-19 18:47:27

I'm asking because mine is hungry ALL the time. He's a rescue and was very overweight when he came to me. He's obviously been fed a lot of junk in his life - he'll eat anything. I've managed to get his weight down to where it should be, but he never stops nagging for food. I give him a pouch of Felix every morning and another every evening, exactly 12 hours apart, and a small handful of kibble in the evening. More and he starts to put on weight again. He's about 7 years old, neutered. It's going to sound ridiculous but he pesters me for food to the point where I have to shut him out of the room. Any suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
Babdoc Wed 13-Mar-19 18:51:21

How long have you had him, OP? If he’s a rescue, he may feel insecure about his food supply and simply keep shouting for more to make sure it keeps coming. When he’s been with you for a good while, he may relax and accept that food will appear twice daily.
My own cat is a fabulous mouser, so I never know how many calories of vermin she’s eaten, on top of the two sachets I give her a day!

BlackCatSleeping Wed 13-Mar-19 18:51:55

I keep the bowl topped up with dry food so they can eat it whenever they want. I give a pouch in the morning and a pouch at night like you do.

Felix seems to be quite addictive. My cats wouldn't stop pestering for it. They have settled down now though.

SabineUndine Wed 13-Mar-19 18:55:29

I've had him about two years now. If there's a human available to nag for food, that's all he does. I feed him at exactly the same time every day and adjust it when the clocks go forward/back, so he knows when he wil get fed, but that doesn't stop him.

Vinorosso74 Wed 13-Mar-19 18:56:21

Our almost 2 year old lad has 30g dry Thrive and a tin of the Thrive wet food each day. He would eat more but he was (allegedly) a stray. I am being strict now so we don't have to put him on a diet.

fitflopqueen Wed 13-Mar-19 18:57:23

My cat is also very demanding, he has 2 sachets a day, catches many mice and is not skinny but he is quite active when out. Also has to have a spoonful of biscuits at night now when the dog has her bedtime snack.

Rayne23 Wed 13-Mar-19 18:58:42

I have two, they get a packet of food between them in the morning and again at night. So basically 1 packet a day each. I also keep their biscuit bowl topped up.

One of mine always seems hungry. They sometimes get some ham or chicken through the day as well.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm not feeding them enough.

SabineUndine Wed 13-Mar-19 19:47:27

I'm relieved to see from this thread anyway, that I am not seriously underfeeding mine, whatever he might say!

Judystilldreamsofhorses Wed 13-Mar-19 21:04:19

Ours gets a pouch in the morning and one at night. She clears the morning one, but not always all the night one. She gets the odd bit of ham or chicken, and if she’s fussing for food before dinner and has nothing in her dish, she has a handful of dry food which she will eat grudgingly.

viccat Wed 13-Mar-19 21:07:50

You could try a better quality wet food? I think Felix is a bit like McDonalds - initially satisfying but leaves you hungry again an hour later...

My four young cats are currently sharing a 400 gram can of Bozita in the morning and about 300 grams of either Almo Nature or Pure in the evenings, with just a quarter of a cup of dry as a snack between them in the day. Two of them are still growing though (8 months old) and eat more of it than the adults. All are a good weight.

Allergictoironing Thu 14-Mar-19 08:38:21

I'm very lucky in that my ex-feral pair self regulate with food. They get Felix AGAIL 1.5 pouches between them a day (split between morning and evening) and dry Royal Canin Indoor ad lib. They always leave at least a few crumbs of the wet and sometimes up to a third of it, and I reckon they get through about 80-100g a day of the dry between them on average. They are large cats (4.8 and 6kg) but not overweight.

DobbyTheHouseElk Thu 14-Mar-19 18:40:06

My cat has 2 pouches of Felix and 30g of dry food. I top up the dry food if it’s all gone.

He has 3 wet meals a day and the dry is always there .

This was what the CP rescue told me to feed him.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in