Talk

Advanced search

Help! Wees on our bed!d

(7 Posts)
rootstar Sun 10-Mar-19 23:41:39

Euuugh! As title says - we adopted a male and female cat shortly before Christmas, he is 4, she is 3. They were rescued from a home where there were multiple cats and their owner had mental health issues (that’s all I know from the cat rescue man) and were part of a group of 6 paired up to be rehomed.
VERY timid, took time to trust us, him especially although he is very attached to me, not OH - she is fine with both, but now seem quite settled until this week. On Monday OH had a day off, me and our DS were at work/school. At some point in the day or evening day one of the cats peeed on our bed - on top of the duvet, pool of orangish pee (which makes me think we caught it pretty quickly, however) we put it down to it being the boy cat who was unsettled by being home alone with OH. We hot washed everything and put it down to a one off. Thursday evening OH went to bed before me and noticed damp patch just below my pillow - he said it was clear and didn’t smell like cat pee but definitel, soiled . Again, washed what we could, decided the duvet and topper needed a proper clean do took to the laundrette (£45!!) but ok, the cleaners had arrived just as we left on Thursday morning so thought poor boy might have been too scared to go downstairs and out of his cat flap. Today, however, v. chilled Sunday, boy Cat was asleep on our bed this morning but seemingly innocuous. We just went to get into bed about fifteen minutes ago and OH Side is soaking. Under the quilt so sheets, duvet (spare as other on is at flipping laundrette) and worst of all the mattress as haven’t got round to putting protector on since Thursday. As with Thursday though it wasn’t coloured and didn’t smell of pee, if anything slightly floral but very wet! I’ve put a litter tray back out in in our laundry room but other than that am at a loss, does anyone have any ideas why this has suddenly started this week? They had litter from just before Xmas until mid Feb but have been going outside fine for about a month now 😾

OP’s posts: |
Fluffycloudland77 Mon 11-Mar-19 07:48:50

They are trying to tell you to bring the tray back.

NC4Now Mon 11-Mar-19 07:50:48

Yes, bring their tray back.

thecatneuterer Mon 11-Mar-19 10:07:19

The problem was because you took the tray away. Make sure it stays back where it was and maybe add an extra one somewhere.

viccat Mon 11-Mar-19 10:11:06

ALL cats need a litter tray, ideally in a multicat home at least a tray per cat and one on every level of the home.

For now it might be best to keep the bedroom door closed when you are not using it so he doesn't keep going there.

I would also keep a close eye on him in general as this can be a symptom of an UTI and it's particularly dangerous in male cats.

rootstar Mon 11-Mar-19 11:20:39

Thanks all, will leave the tray out and pop one upstairs too. Hopefully that will solve it rather than it being territory marking as I thought it might be. Will keep an eye out for UTI symptoms too. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
thecatneuterer Mon 11-Mar-19 11:26:09

It was probably raining, or there was another cat in the garden or something similar - which is why he didn't want to go outside. There are a few cats that will go out to toilet regardless, but for the majority you need a backup tray or two.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in