Talk

Advanced search

Hills diet

(6 Posts)
SmellsLikeAdultSpirit Mon 04-Mar-19 23:11:08

The vet told me that my one year old cat has plaque on her back teeth and will need removing under anaesthetic if not dealt with
He recommended a hills dry food. I'm not sure I wasn't being taken for a ride here
She hasn't taken to the food. I have an older rescue too. He was badly treated and is a bit feral. He prefers wet food and I want to encourage him to keep coming back so I'm reluctant to change his diet too much
She pinches his food though so its hard keeping her off wet food
I did consider feeding them both dry with proper meat as well. Hills is very expensive and he is enormous so it would be costly
Is there a different food that will help with teeth

OP’s posts: |
Toddlerteaplease Tue 05-Mar-19 06:26:03

You can't get wishers Dental treats and special powder to sprinkle in their food that helps prevent plaque. That might be worth a try.

MrsPnut Tue 05-Mar-19 06:34:41

I wouldn’t feed Hills to my cat, too much junk in it.
Mine eats meowing heads and has some meat at night along side.

SmellsLikeAdultSpirit Tue 05-Mar-19 08:01:08

I didn't realise Hills was full of junk. I guess the vet gets commission then
Can anyone recommend a healthy food that isn't ££££

Vinorosso74 Tue 05-Mar-19 08:12:06

Was it T/D? The biscuits are huge so the cats have to chew them and there apparently is something in them to help clean the teeth.
I won't use Hills or any similar brands now.
You can get some high meat content dry foods which are better. Wet food is ok but you need to avoid any in jelly or gravy. According to the poster I saw at our vets "the boss" recommends raw chicken wings twice a week to help dental health.
Have a look on Zooplus for ideas to see what's in your budget. The supermarkets are getting a bit better with what they stock too.

SmellsLikeAdultSpirit Wed 06-Mar-19 07:34:55

Yes it is T/D
After reading I'm even more confused
It seems wet food with a high meat content is the best?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in