Talk

Advanced search

Best way to deal with the smell of uncovered poo?!

(12 Posts)
TelephoneTree Mon 25-Feb-19 21:37:17

One of our cats doesn't bury / cover her poo, and the whole house stinks. I obviously clear it up as quickly as I realise, but the smell hangs on. Has anyone found a solution for this?? An automated litter tray that's brilliant for just this??

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 25-Feb-19 22:23:51

A lidded tray with a filter?

OutingOutlander Mon 25-Feb-19 22:34:01

Our cat never buries hers, we have a hooded tray with a filter and air fresheners that go off automatically. Sometimes she does terrible poos that stink but most of the time this combination works until we can clean it up. Ironically, she kicks all the litter out of the front of the tray, through the hood confused

TelephoneTree Mon 25-Feb-19 22:45:56

I'll look into those, thank you!

OP’s posts: |
SpoonBlender Mon 25-Feb-19 22:47:25

Using clumping litter with deodorant is sufficient for our open trays - none of our cats would use an enclosed one. Costs about £4.50 a bag though, expensive little buggers.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 26-Feb-19 09:13:13

I have the same issue. I scoop quickly/ bury it and the smell goes away fairly quickly. As the litter I use is very good and masking smells. I just open the window.

theSnuffster Tue 26-Feb-19 20:23:44

Our boy cat never covers his poo. (Girl cat digs to China to cover hers.)

We use a lidded tray and find that once the poo has been removed the smell doesn't linger for long. They do have good quality food so although poo obviously doesn't smell nice, it's nowhere near as bad as when they were still on the not-so-great food.

Plump82 Wed 27-Feb-19 05:31:26

Same here. I removed it as soon as shes been if im at home and then light a couple of matches!

AwkwardSquad Wed 27-Feb-19 05:38:09

Neutradol, and open a window if you can.

Wavingwhiledrowning Wed 27-Feb-19 05:44:44

I ended up getting a plug in air freshener because I couldn't handle the smell anymore (even though I always cleaned it up ASAP, and have a lidded tray, and use anti bac litter). Specially, Airwick Threevolution for pet odours (nothing else made a difference, but this one does actually work).

ProfYaffle Wed 27-Feb-19 05:46:54

We've got a waterproof covered litter tray outside, just by the back door so she hasn't got far to go!

DobbyTheHouseElk Wed 27-Feb-19 20:07:01

Remove and open a window. Lighting a match is a good idea, I might try that next time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in