Talk

Advanced search

Flea issue on grumpy ass long haired eeget

(8 Posts)
NinkasiNinjaPaws Mon 25-Feb-19 14:24:20

Looking for ideas. Three cat household, one of whom is frankly sweary, cantankerous and looks like an animated bush. And has a flea problem. He's been having the six month flea jab and when I'm feeling brave/suicidal I try to get a comb in there, but due to his ability to perform an 'alien face hugger' move, this lasts less than a minute. As a side note he's always been this grumpy, and is a former stray/feral who felt we were the perfect mugs to deal with his vet bills when he got himself seriously injured, prior he'd been a roaming Tom. Problem is little female cat has developed a flea allergy involving steroid jabs to keep under control which big git's problem is contributing to. I can keep on top of the other two's lodgers but he's something else. The 'spot on' treatment never seemed to work on him either. Ideas? Here's a pic of the reprobate.

OP’s posts: |
Jennyfi Mon 25-Feb-19 15:09:31

It could be that the fleas are in your house, and he's picking them up again every time you get rid of them. Have you tried doing a flea treatment of the house + their bedding?

hugoagogo Mon 25-Feb-19 15:15:10

Aww he looks lovely.
It does sound like you maybe need to treat the house too.
I've never heard of a cat who doesn't respond to the magic drops- what a nightmare.shock

Kismetjayn Mon 25-Feb-19 15:17:27

The spot on no longer works in our area as the fleas have an immunity but crushed up Johnson's flea tablets smuggled in some wet food works for our resident long haired evolutionary reject.

Also a shit ton of Johnson's home flea spray.

Still not clear, but better than it was.

NinkasiNinjaPaws Mon 25-Feb-19 16:29:44

Unfortunately it's not just our house he frequents, it's next door . They've not got a good track record with taking care of cats, their last one was constantly covered and geriatric. He decided we were a better option for his palliative care hence regular grooming sessions ( which he purred through) and us constantly badgering them to get him to a vet, which they didn't. My great eegit thinks they're fab though 🙄 so even if we totally fumigated, stopping him going next door is a different matter. His coat is so dense and black it's easy to miss one. Do certain vets offer a cat "deep clean" service?confusedIt feels like that's what I need as well as house flea products which I've already got 🙄

OP’s posts: |
TheLongRider Mon 25-Feb-19 16:29:53

Which spot-ons have you tried? We used to use Advocate but have now moved to Bravecto as it is more effective.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 03-Mar-19 16:23:03

The injection only stops the fleas breeding, it doesn’t kill them.

Have you tried advocate?

Espressomartin Sun 03-Mar-19 16:24:54

No advice sorry but “animated bush” has tickled me grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in