Talk

Advanced search

Is my cat ill?

(4 Posts)
PodgeBod Sat 16-Feb-19 00:06:18

Hello, I'm going to call the vets in the morning but wanted to post here in the meantime. I have an adult cat, I believe he is between 2-3 years old. We have struggled with fleas and have been using Advocate since December but I'm not confident it's doing a good job and he also has a 3 monthly deworming tablet.

About a week or 2 ago I noticed he has lost some fur around his back legs and tail (where he can reach to bite/scratch) which made me wonder if the fleas are back. He is eating less as well, about 50% of the food I put down rather then 100% like usual (he is very picky with his food anyway so I thought he might be wanting a change). And tonight he poo'ed in the bathroom which has made me really worried because he is a very clean cat, he always goes outside and at times we have had to keep him in he uses a litter box (we don't have one out at the moment).
Does this sound like the start of a serious illness? I am worried, a few months ago my mums cat went off her food and lost a lot of weight and it turned out to be stomach cancer and she died soon after. My beloved childhood cat started pooing under my bed and it turned out to be a serious issue and he also died. And I can't sleep now worrying about my kitty. To add, he had a general look at by the vet in December when she prescribed the flea treatment and she didnt see any issues then.
Thanks for reading.

OP’s posts: |
thecatneuterer Sat 16-Feb-19 16:59:50

That doesn't scream 'serious illness' to me. I hope the vet has been able to reassure you. If you don't have a litter tray at the moment I would put one back. It could be something as simple as there was a another cat/fox/paper bag in the garden at the time he wanted a poo and he was just too scared to go out.

PodgeBod Sat 16-Feb-19 23:37:58

Thank you, I'm having to use the PDSA at the moment and it turns out they only do emergency appointments on the weekend (very understandable) so I will give a call back on Monday. He hasn't soiled in the house again and has been eating more today but I would still like to get him checked as flea treatments don't seem to be working? Frontline became ineffective after a couple of months, and I don't think advocate is working. We have sprayed and even used flea bombs to try to tackle the problem.

OP’s posts: |
Judystilldreamsofhorses Sun 17-Feb-19 20:25:49

I was so worried about our cat a few weeks ago because she was off her food. It turned out she needed six teeth out and a scale and polish (to the tune of £700, not included in our insurance!). She’s absolutely fine, although hates us a bit because she has to have a mouthwash type spray. This time three weeks ago I was literally crying on her head, convinced DP would be coming back from the vet without her in the morning. Hopefully it will be something straightforward for you too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in