Talk

Advanced search

Noise in the garden scared our cat - any advice?

(7 Posts)
Coffeepot72 Wed 09-Jan-19 09:40:33

We have 9 year old neutered female cat. She tends to be slightly nervous at times, but nothing major. Ever since she’s been old enough to go out, she’s happily used her cat flap, which takes her out of the back door, into the back garden. However just before New Year, we had a skip delivered, it was placed onto our drive, which runs quite close to the back garden (there is a wooden fence between the drive and garden, so you can’t see the skip from the garden, but if you’d been in the garden when it arrived you would have heard all the noise). The skip has now been removed, so everything is back to normal, but it all seemed to scare our poor cat, and she no longer wants to use her cat flap or venture into the back garden. She’s happy to go out the front door, and then waits on the doorstep to be let back in again. She won’t venture round the back of the house. Obviously if we’re home we are happy to let her in/out the front door, but DH and I both work full time, and of course we’re not up in the night either for door-opening duties!

Will she regain her confidence over time, and is there anything we can do to help things along?

OP’s posts: |
hendricksy Wed 09-Jan-19 09:42:06

I'm sure in the summer months when the doors are open she will be fine .. I have a Bengal who is afraid of outside although his brother loves it . It doesn't worry me , he can choose to go out or not but he is definitely braver in the summer months .

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Jan-19 09:42:19

At night? Cats should be in at night.
As the weather improves can you spend time in the garden and encourage her to come with you? Give her treats there or catnip or play with toys/groom. Whatever she prefers.

Coffeepot72 Wed 09-Jan-19 10:03:38

At the weekend, I was planning to leave the back door open as much as possible (as long as it's not too cold!) so that hopefully she will rediscover that there's nothing scary in the back garden?

DH has suggested carefully posting her out of the cat flap, but I think that my just cause her additional stress?

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Jan-19 10:13:35

Leaving the door open won’t make her go out if it’s not the cat flap that’s the worry. Putting her into the scary place won’t make it less scary!

CrookedMe Wed 09-Jan-19 10:18:38

Posting her grin

Ah, don't do that! The wee thing will go out when she feels ready. If I was you I might carry her out into the garden and see how that goes, but I wouldn't make a big thing of it either way.

Coffeepot72 Wed 09-Jan-19 10:28:55

Crookedme - yes, I agree that not making a big thing about it, is probably for the best. We'll just let her decide whether she wants to go out into the back garden, or not.

At the end of the day, she's enjoyed her freedom and independence for the best part of 9 years, and I'm hoping that her natural instincts to go out and do 'cat things' will eventually bring things back to normal!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in