Talk

Advanced search

Setting up a cattery

(7 Posts)
Kemer2018 Sat 05-Jan-19 17:12:06

Hi,
I'm considering this. Any words of wisdom and what regulations do I need to comply with?
I've got a lovely girl cat and I just feel happiest around cats.
I've got a detached house with gardens.

OP’s posts: |
RandomMess Sat 05-Jan-19 17:12:37

Lots of regulations!!!

fenneltea Sat 05-Jan-19 17:19:14

Lots of regulations to comply with and also worth considering what you will do when cats aren't collected by their owners or bills settled by them, or cats become ill. It does happen sadly and can be very stressful!

It might be worth doing a college course on cattery management if there are any near you to see what it involves.

If you decide to go ahead then I wish you every success!

fenneltea Sat 05-Jan-19 17:21:17

This website might help op:- www.startacattery.co.uk/cattery-licence-regulations.html

TyrionsNextWife Sat 05-Jan-19 17:29:52

I’ve used 2 catteries before, one of them sent my cat back a nervous wreck and the other I use regularly because my cats love it! The one I wouldn’t use again was very a much a ‘business’ - it was very well equipped, lots of staff and immaculatey kept, but it was very clinical and different people every day, and the lack of continuity really unsettled one of my cats. It also meant that no time was spent with them outside of feeding and cleaning so they didn’t notice that one of my cats was loosing a ton of weight and was miserable.

The Cattery that I use a lot is run by a lovely woman who treats the cats like her own pets and it’s almost a continuation of her own house. There’s arm chairs and a log stove in the indoor Cattery area and the cats can have a roam around when their pens are being cleaned. There’s only 2 members of staff so the cats get to know them and they spend loads of time being fussed and spoilt.

I’ve no idea about the regulations side of it, but I’d say that the best catteries and kennels aren’t the ones that have been set up as a money making business. The best are the ones that have come about because the owners are obsessed with animals and want to spend all day playing with kittens grin

Keeping it small and almost hobby like will give the cats the best experience, and keep the owners coming back.

Also, have double doors on all the entrances - a Cattery I know of years ago lost a cat because someone opened the external door when a pen door was open. It could have been avoided if they had a porch area or similar! The first thing I checked when looking for a new Cattery was what the security was like.

fenneltea Sat 05-Jan-19 17:38:48

Some good advice on the international cat care website, they also offer three day courses:- icatcare.org/advice/catteries/starting-boarding-cattery

viccat Sat 05-Jan-19 19:51:39

You will also need to speak to your local council as there will be lots of regulations from their perspective, for example planning conditions if you add the cattery pens outside and change of use from domestic dwelling to a business premises. You will need to have regular inspections (by the council), sort out different bins for business waste etc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in