Talk

Advanced search

My older cat hates our kittens

(11 Posts)
LadyintheRadiator Fri 04-Jan-19 20:31:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Fluffycloudland77 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:46:30

What is your vet thinking not neutering at 5 months?.

Did you do slow introductions?. Kittens are really annoying to adult cats, it’s like someone dropping two teenagers off to live with you.

LadyintheRadiator Fri 04-Jan-19 21:07:27

viccat Fri 04-Jan-19 21:33:38

Go to a different vet for neutering, boys especially can be neutered early as it's such a small op.

How long has it been since the kittens came?
Partly it's a case of time and patience, they will work out their hierarchies. What are their interactions like, is your older cat fighting them or mainly ignoring them? How old is the older cat?

JcHcks Fri 04-Jan-19 21:39:11

I had the same issue years ago and in the end I had to get rid of the kitten sad hope it doesn't come to that for you but I still have my old cat and he's happy smile

Mia184 Sat 05-Jan-19 08:47:59

Cats usually get along with another cat that is in the same age group and has the same character.

buckingfrolicks Sat 05-Jan-19 09:11:51

God that's like making a quiet middle aged and share his house, unasked, with twin toddlers. No wonder he's fed up. Kittens must go (will be rehomed in a shot) and get lovely quiet middle aged woman cat to share his house with. they can listen to the archers together and snooze in the sun

LadyintheRadiator Sat 05-Jan-19 11:42:57

SmellTheGlove Sun 06-Jan-19 18:39:04

Hi -I think we shared our similar situation on another thread! I'm sure neutering would help - aren't intact males the dominant members of the cat world? So quite threatening. Our female kittens were neutured at 5 months - one had already gone into season. Our older cat is making slow progress with the kittens - or at least it's not getting worse! It's horrible trying to make sure they are all happy. I know some might argue that we shouldn't have added 2 kittens to our house, but honestly our older cat was a rescue we got age 7 and she is a right cow to be honest! We took her in when the neighbours abandoned her but she has never really tolerated any cuddles or strokes, and is quite mean at times! She's had a life of Reilly as an only cat for 8 years and to be honest we all wanted a pet we could actually enjoy! It's a revelation stroking the kittens and not being bitten or clawed! And DS loves them of course (he also loves the older cat surprisingly!). I'm sure things will improve. I think your intruder may be the real issue.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 09-Jan-19 07:47:28

SmellTheGlove Wed 09-Jan-19 12:45:50

Oh God you sound like me at the moment. Endless thinking about the bloody cats!!!!! Our older cat reacted to a change of litter last week (I didn't realise it was scented and to be fair it smells vile) by pissing all over our bed while we were in it! She's never ever done anything like that before. And it think it was the litter not stress or she would have done it before. But now every time she creeps around on the bed at night I'm on edge in case she does it again! I'm exhausted! It's complicated just with the logistics. Did you find out about the neutering being done sooner? It might also deter your intruder? Your house may be less interesting without Tom cat smells?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in