Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have experience of low allergen cats

(9 Posts)
Cineraria Wed 28-Nov-18 14:16:10

I always had cats in my family home as a child and developed a mild allergy in my early teens. It seemed to get worse though and by the time I moved out in my late teens I had started needing antihistamines more generally rather than just having a reaction if I touched them and didn't wash my hands. It's still not a terrible allergy, just hives, swollen eyes and only breathlessness if I sleep in a house with a cat, whether or not they are allowed in the bedrooms. I also have hay fever and eczema and there are lots of allergies and asthma in the family generally.

I was happy enough not to have a cat in the house while I was single as I travelled a lot and worked long hours, so it wouldn't have been nice for but I know DH was very disappointed to realise he wouldn't have a cat if he married me and since having children, I'm really feeling the same. Our sons both love to stroke and play with the cats who patrol our garden, especially the one who used to pop round to announce each of my pregnancies! We've thought about a dog but would much prefer a cat.

DH asked what I thought about getting one of the breeds that produce less of the allergen in their saliva (I think he said Siberian and Russian Blue cats). From what I've read, I might still have symptoms but maybe not as bad. I have noticed that some cats I've known affected me a bit less strongy than others but they were black or black and white cats and Siamese, not the breeds mentioned. Has anyone here done this? I'd love to hear how it worked out to help us make a decision.

The other thing that concerns me is that the cats my family had were all rescue cats our no particular breed who had freedom to go where they please and the only people I knew who've had specific breeds of cat restricted them to the house or house and garden due to the risk of them being stolen. I am not sure we'd like to do that but obviously wouldn't want to have a pet taken either. Do people generally find that necessary?

Thanks for any help and advice.

OP’s posts: |
Justonedayatatime11 Wed 28-Nov-18 16:13:25

My DP is the most allergic person I know, but my Savannahs don't affect him at all, they have a very different type of fur. They're more dog like than cat though!

Cineraria Wed 28-Nov-18 16:21:16

Oh that's interesting. It's not one of the breeds I'd heard of as being less troublesome to allergy sufferers. I'll have to have a look. Thanks.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 28-Nov-18 16:28:27

I believe Persians are supposed to be fairly low allergenic as the long haired ones don't shed much.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 28-Nov-18 16:29:08

My Persians are very happy as house cats with access to the garden. They are rescues.

MrsLettuce Wed 28-Nov-18 16:43:20

We have Siamese and orientals, they're often said to be low allergen but in the 12 years we've had them every cat-allergic person who has visited has reacted to them...

SmallDalek Wed 28-Nov-18 16:47:17

I tried Devon Rex but I think it was their skin and saliva I was allergic to so they had to be returned to their breeder ☹️. I find it really unpredictable though. My black short haired mog I had only minor allergy with. Same with my friends black short hair. Another friends torty I couldn’t even strike as my hand would be red and itchy within minutes. After the Rex fiasco I’ve not had another cat.

Justonedayatatime11 Wed 28-Nov-18 20:56:03

Cineria, I'm genuinely amazed with how my DP can tolerate them compared to my other breeds. And as I said previously, he's the most allergic person I know.

Cineraria Thu 29-Nov-18 07:01:04

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's helpful to hear how others have got on.

Sorry to hear you had to return your cat, SmallDalek.

Beautiful cat, Justonedayatatime11

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in