Talk

Advanced search

Aggressive Male Cat in two Cat household

(5 Posts)
MrsK Mon 26-Nov-18 09:50:45

Hi,

I became the accidental owner to a stray male cat, during the last snow in March. He appeared on my doorstep, I put a house out for him & fed him once it was clear he wasn’t just wandering by. I took him to the vets he wasn’t chipped & in their opinion probably a stray as he was “intact” & roughly 2 years old. He is now neutered, I tried rehoming him but he escaped the 1st night & was lost for 10 days. Brought him home as everyone was really upset.

The problem i have is, I already have a female cat. They do not get along, he is aggressive towards her. Currently, he lives downstairs with the living room door shut. I have Feliway Friends diffusers upstairs & downstairs, he wears a Valerian collar. We are trying to introduce them slowly but so far without success.

Anyone have any advice? I am reluctant to rehome again. He was very traumatised by the experience & started over grooming & pulling out his hair.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
lljkk Mon 26-Nov-18 09:52:10

Does he try to assault her if they get close together? Have their encounters actually drawn blood?

AnnaMagnani Mon 26-Nov-18 11:50:26

Feliway Friends doesn't work for all cats. I had it when we went from 1 cat to 3 and it made no difference at all. Junked it and went back to normal Feliway - immediate improvement.

How aggressive is he? My original cat was aggressive to the 2 newcomers and I did slow intros, bribing her with Snackies but eventually got fed up and left them to it.

They worked it out and now get along OK.

DevonCherry Mon 26-Nov-18 16:54:40

You say you're reluctant to rehome because of possible trauma - but it's not much of a life for him stuck in one room downstairs is it?

MrsK Mon 26-Nov-18 20:52:03

Thanks,

I’ll try the original Feliway

He isn’t stuck in one room

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in