Talk

Advanced search

Cat moustache

(6 Posts)
nunnthewiser Sat 24-Nov-18 14:03:31

Our lovely Maine Coon has developed a black moustache. At first I thought it was dirt, and then after a while I thought he'd been fighting and got a scratch, but he has had this now for about 2 months, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a bigger problem.

It does look like it might be dried blood, but it doesn't easily come off. It doesn't appear to cause him any pain and he is eating fine etc.

Recently had fleas (now treated and gone) but no other health problems and the fleas didn't seem to be a serious case.

I'm happy to take him to the vet (although he seems quite well), but wondered if anyone else had seen this before. Pictures attached.

OP’s posts: |
TheHallouminati Sat 24-Nov-18 14:16:54

What a handsome cat! It looks like it could be cat acne. My dcat had a few blackheads on her chin. I was incredulous when first read about it. Apparently caused by using plastic or similar bowls although my cat has ceramic. If he'll let you, gently tease them out or even use the flea comb on it.

nunnthewiser Sat 24-Nov-18 16:56:30

Thank you - I have googled and it does look similar.

It's weird - he uses metal bowls, and always has, and they are cleaned regularly.

Glad to hear it's nothing serious, and doesn't look like a vet appointment would achieve much - thank you.

nunnthewiser Sat 24-Nov-18 17:00:25

PS I think he's beautiful but I might be biased. He looks better without the Clark Gable tache.

Plump82 Sat 24-Nov-18 18:00:04

Definitely feline acne. It can be brought on by metal and plastic bowls. My cat had it on her chin and within a few days of swapping to a ceramic dish it all cleared up.

DwangelaForever Sat 24-Nov-18 18:02:24

Cat acne deffo! My exotic shorthair got this on her chin and it was from a plastic dish!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in