Talk

Advanced search

Kitten feeding question

(9 Posts)
theSnuffster Sat 17-Nov-18 20:04:13

We got our kittens a couple of days ago. They're 8 weeks old.

I've read that they should have 3 'meals' a day. I've been giving them a small amount of wet food, as advised by the lady we got them from. I'll out at work from 8.30am to 2.30pm most days. Could I feed first thing in the morning, as soon as I get in from work, then late at night? Or just do morning and evening?

They also have access to dry food through the day- measured out according to the packaging but at the lower end of the weights given as they're obviously having wet food too. They've been eating a little at a time and it lasts them the best part of the day.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 17-Nov-18 20:23:50

I would give the 3 meals tbh. Are they going to be left alone for that amount of time from the start?

theSnuffster Sat 17-Nov-18 20:43:43

Thank you. No they can be checked on in that time to begin with.

Dollymixture22 Sat 17-Nov-18 22:05:38

I was always advised kittens need access to food pretty much all the time - especially when they are that tiny. At 8 weeks they are just weaned - mine ate tiny meals several times a day and though he night.

I still free feed my kitten and she is nearly six months, but We are transitioning onto three meals a day. I got a motion activated feeder so I can leave wet food out all day for her.

theSnuffster Sat 17-Nov-18 22:12:20

Thanks. They do have dry food all day. Then as advised I'll feed a small meal of wet food three times a day. I assumed they didn't need the dry food left out overnight too, is that right?

dementedpixie Sat 17-Nov-18 22:13:14

I left dry out all the time at that age and beyond

Dollymixture22 Sat 17-Nov-18 23:06:33

I leave wet all day and dry at night - it’s in my room and I hear her munching on it several times through the night - but she might just be greedy!!!

The night time food is now being phased out cos she’s getting bigger. At eight weeks she ate very little in any one meal - maybe two or three mouthfuls. But she was tiny - still is small for her age.

Santaispolishinghissleigh Sat 17-Nov-18 23:07:41

Tut tut yet another kitten thread without pics.
May need to report.....

StrawberryTraveller Mon 19-Nov-18 14:49:05

When we first had our kittens at 12 weeks they ate 4 times per day wet food, and dry food was down 24/7 but only one nibbled that a bit.

Roughly 7am, 12pm, 6pm, 10pm feeds when small.

They are now 6 1/2 months old, and now get 3 wet meals a day with lunch being a smaller amount. plus 24/7 access to dry which they now both eat but somedays they eat more of that, other days don't touch it. I guess it depends on how hungry they are.

I will probably drop the lunchtime wet food once they are a year old

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in