Talk

Advanced search

Cat keeps using plant as litter tray.

(9 Posts)
siobhan8686 Sat 10-Nov-18 12:53:06

My cat keeps using the soil in the plant pot to do his business. He has a cat litter tray in the same room but for some reason prefers the plant over litter tray. Any advice on how to put him off using the plant pot for his bathroom?

OP’s posts: |
Santaispolishinghissleigh Sat 10-Nov-18 12:54:53

Submit to your dcats choice of poo pot!!
I gave up on plants with previous dcat! Present ones prefer my rug!!

SerendipityFelix Sat 10-Nov-18 12:55:27

Sharp grit/gravel on top of the compost, makes it less comfy to use. And perhaps mix a little soil in his cat litter/switch cat litter to something he prefers, make sure his tray is large enough, positioned according to his preference, cleaned etc.

StillMedusa Sun 11-Nov-18 21:57:46

One of mine liked to use my olive tree when I brought it in for the winter, so I covered the soil with a bag.
So she peed on that instead!

I now only have large indoor plants hidden behind the sofa and she has given up now they aren't easily accessible.

Mind you she still likes to pee on towels, any clothes left on the floor, even with two litter trays. Some cats are just naughty!

ArchbishopOfBanterbury Sun 11-Nov-18 22:00:09

We bought big pebbles to cover the plant pot soil.

Bearwithverylittlebrain Sun 11-Nov-18 22:07:19

Tin foil is your friend, they hate the sound it makes. Make sure you cover all the visible soil.

gamerchick Sun 11-Nov-18 22:11:17

I used tin foil. It doesn't look pretty though.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 11-Nov-18 22:13:41

Cover the soil in the pot with large pebbles/stones. I had to do this with my houseplants too and it works like a charm. Also if they are not using their litter trays, it might be because they don’t like some aspect of it. Is it clean? Have you swapped litter recently? Moved the tray? You have to think like a cat, why do they prefer your plant pot soil to where they ought to be going?

JurassicGirl Sun 11-Nov-18 22:14:06

I got some large flat stones & covered up the soil.

Seems to work!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in