Talk

Advanced search

Cat terrified of fireworks

(9 Posts)
tryingtosortmylifeout Sun 04-Nov-18 18:25:58

I have a very timid rescue cat who is terrified of all the fireworks that are going off right now. He’s currently cowering under the sofa and won’t come out - even for Dreamies! Is there anything I can do to help him relax?

OP’s posts: |
Allergictoironing Sun 04-Nov-18 18:43:14

Unfortunately it's a little late to do anything for tonight, all you can really do is keep chatting to him in a calm, reassuring voice so he knows you are there and not worried.

If your area is anything like mine, the fireworks will go on all week so I'd go to your nearest pet shop or your vets and get some Zylkene. It comes in capsules that you can break open & scatter over wet food, and my pair love the stuff. It's a natural calming substance & may help a bit, then start him again on it a few days before the New Year fireworks go off. Pet Remedy or Feliway may help a bit too.

If it's any comfort, mine were terrified the first year I had them despite Feliway and Zylkene, last year they were not too fussed, and so far this year I've been the one more likely to jump if a couple of really loud mortars go off! Girlcat just sits there watching TV, and Boycat slept through last nights barrage.

Judystilldreamsofhorses Sun 04-Nov-18 22:15:38

Our cat absolutely hates fireworks. It probably sounds counter-intuitive, but what works best for us is creating internal noise which helps drown the fireworks out. Radio on in the kitchen, TV in the lounge, and a white noise thing in the spare room, which is where she likes to hide out, under DP’s desk, if she’s unsettled. We also have a huge walk in cupboard in the hall (other houses in the street have it converted to a WC) we use for coats which she loves, and we leave that open so she can go in there if she wants. Lots of stroking and chatting. I celebrated 2018’s arrival sitting on the floor in that cupboard telling her what a brave girl she is!

timtam23 Sun 04-Nov-18 23:12:47

I try to carry on as normal, my cat gets extra-spooked if we hover around him or don't stick to his standard routine. We have the radio on and there's the usual evening bustle so we may drown out some of the noise. He has been less bothered this year and actually slept through some of the bangs yesterday so maybe as he gets older he's getting more settled

petalflowercherrybomb Mon 05-Nov-18 15:50:05

Tiny girl was born in January so this was her first experience of fireworks. Got home from work on Friday find her cowering and crying in the bin of all places. We have spent much of the weekend on the sofa with a fluffy blanket over her head- she likes to be cocooned. We've also had lots of treats available. I will be better prepared for NYE!

Judystilldreamsofhorses Mon 05-Nov-18 21:45:39

We have had a horrible night here but it is easing off now and she is snoozing in her basket by the radiator. Hate seeing her so upset. Toilet has been an issue here over the last week because she absolutely hates the litter tray, but has been nervous about going out - she’s actually used the bath s couple of times, but tonight did her first wee in the tray in about a year. DP put her in it then sat on the floor and sang to her until she went, god love him!

Wolfiefan Mon 05-Nov-18 21:48:37

He’s a keeper!!
We close curtains.
Keep TV on to block out noise.
Ensure they have quiet places to hide away.
Maybe try feliway.
This year I even blocked the chimney as noise echoed down it last year.

petalflowercherrybomb Mon 05-Nov-18 23:11:05

@judy adorable! DP is currently on her hands and knees trying to coax tiny girl out from under the bed- she's been there all night even though the fireworks stopped ages ago. I suppose she'll come out in her own time!

Judystilldreamsofhorses Tue 06-Nov-18 13:26:45

Ha, he's a good one!

By bedtime last night we were back to normal - begging for treats, out in the garden for a last wander and a wee, and horsed down all her dinner which she wouldn't even look at when it was put down for her. This morning she was bossing us about as usual, and actually went straight to the back door without even much of a hello when I got up (rude) then had to be bribed back in so I could leave for work. It's like she senses the danger has passed.

Fingers crossed there are no more fireworks until new year now, and that all nervous pusscats are back on form today.

(Btw, that white noise thing was really good when it was in full swing last night, she was far less distressed in the room that was droning on in than in the rooms with TV/radio. DP just found one on You Tube which I think was meant for sleeping babies. Would def recommend.)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in