Talk

Advanced search

Flea pills

(20 Posts)
Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 10:39:17

Our vet practice has issued me with a pack of red monthly flea pills. I'm upstairs right now so can't remember the name. I got a half one into older cat quite easily by popping it in her mouth and stroking her throat, as the vet has previously suggested.

Our other cat won't accept this. And has previously rejected a pill in food. He is large and would need a whole one. Also, he is large part Persian and has huge claws.

Any advice? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sun 21-Oct-18 11:06:24

Could you ask for a spot on instead?

LEMtheoriginal Sun 21-Oct-18 11:08:06

Spot on

Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 11:57:32

I think our vet has moved on from frontline and then from advantage because they were not working so well any more. I bloody well wish they did. I have the pills and no idea how to get them I to the cat. I think I'll refuse more.

Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 11:57:54

Into

Bananarama12 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:59:12

Have you tried pill pockets?

dementedpixie Sun 21-Oct-18 11:59:45

I used to use a bit of webbox stick.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 21-Oct-18 11:59:55

Get a pill popper and do it that way. My Persian was on 8 tablets a day. However she was exceptionally well behaved!

dementedpixie Sun 21-Oct-18 12:00:14

I use stronghold plus from the vet. It's a spot on

Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 12:24:01

What are webbox and a pill poppet, please? By the way, it's called Milpro.

I will definitely be looking for spot on alternatives next time, or change vet. They're only so good as their usability.

Thanks.

Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 12:26:23

I've looked up webbox. I don't see how it will help?

Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 12:32:07

The pill poppers where you put the pill inside the food look great. Thanks for this. I'll try it!

SpoonBlender Sun 21-Oct-18 12:32:48

Stronghold drops are still successfully keeping fleas at bay here. They're about six quid per dose.

What's worked for me with bolshy cats before is to wrap them in a towel to hold the eviscarating claws in, get the pill as far down as you can, hold their face closed and stroke the throat until you see the swallow happen. For real strugglers this is a two person job, one to hold and one to pill.

AnotherOriginalUsername Sun 21-Oct-18 12:33:57

Milpro is a wormer, not a flea treatment. You can get Profender worming treatment which is a spot on treatment that will treat all worms (round/hook/tape etc)

dementedpixie Sun 21-Oct-18 12:42:24

You squash the webbox round the pill so they eat it

dementedpixie Sun 21-Oct-18 12:45:23

But yes, milpro is for worms not fleas

Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 20:52:08

Are you sure? I went in to get flea treatment and that is what I asked for.

Other than the prescription label, it just say "16/40 film coated for cats. No mention of use. The vet label doesn't specify use.

dementedpixie Sun 21-Oct-18 20:54:45

If you look up milpro it specifies it's for worms

dementedpixie Sun 21-Oct-18 20:56:36

Milpro Worming Tablets for Cats are for the treatment of mixed infections by immature and adult cestodes (tapeworms) and adult nematodes (roundworms).

Each tablet contains as active ingredients: Milbemycin oxime 16mg and Praziquantel 40mg.
(That will be why it says 16/40 on the label)

Ceilingrose Sun 21-Oct-18 22:15:00

I'm a bit stunned, to be honest. God knows how that happened. I'm certain it is t what I thought I was buying. And it wasn't cheap, either.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in