Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to keep cat in at night when he's been allowed to roam free for 2 years?

(5 Posts)
AnotheBloodyChinHair Tue 09-Oct-18 08:58:58

Our male cat, 2 years old, comes and goes as he pleases. I was thinking about making him stay at night but how can I implement this change? I have a microchipped catflap and feeder.

OP’s posts: |
BackToTheFuschia7 Tue 09-Oct-18 09:07:06

Yes, it’s possible and much safer too. He’ll take a few days to accept he can’t get out at night because that’s his routine, but persevere and he will adjust.

IsTheRainEverComingBack Tue 09-Oct-18 09:08:26

Make sure you’ve got some good scratching things and at least one litter box inside and just go for it. He’ll probably whinge and cry for a bit each night and then get used to it.

Lynne1Cat Tue 09-Oct-18 10:14:05

Perhaps start giving him a last meal/treat of the day at night. My boy has his last (3rd) meal at 10.30, and he knows it's at that time so comes in. He then goes out for a wee (he won't use a litter tray) and is back in again an hour later, and stays in for the night.

AnotheBloodyChinHair Tue 09-Oct-18 15:22:52

Thank you all. Lynne! What a cutie!!

Cat hasn't used a little tray since being a kitten though. He is so used to roaming, he's been staying at someone else's property for a while now and the bastards have encouraged him to stay, so now I have to try and rein him back a bit.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in