Talk

Advanced search

Cat keeps on missing the litter tray when doing her business

(14 Posts)
LucyMorningStar Wed 26-Sep-18 20:59:54

She's 18 months old spayed moggy from a cat shelter, been with us for 6-7 weeks now. Whenever she goes for a wee she bloody misses the tray and it ends up everywhere! I moved the tray around to try differed positions for her but I'm starting to think she's doing it on purpose angry

What can I do to help her? Is she protesting against something? Gaaah....

OP’s posts: |
crumpet Wed 26-Sep-18 21:02:01

Does it have a cover, or is it just an open tray?

dementedpixie Wed 26-Sep-18 21:02:47

What size is the tray? Do you need a bigger one with higher sides or a lid?

sirmione16 Wed 26-Sep-18 21:03:39

Try a different type of litter. Wood, paper, stone, anti bac, scented and unsecented. My cat has a preference to poop on antibacterial but won't wee in it - she'll wee on wood though but not poop on it!! Lots of mess and confusion before we found this - we have two litter boxes side by side and she's happy and uses them accordingly now

dementedpixie Wed 26-Sep-18 21:06:21

Does she go into the tray but the pee goes over the side?

mayhew Wed 26-Sep-18 21:07:08

Big covered tray.

ItWentInMyEye Wed 26-Sep-18 21:11:26

My cat is 5 and when we need a tray on the odd occasion he needs to be kept in after a vet visit etc, he ALWAYS sticks his bum over the edge and poos out of the tray 🤦🏼‍♀️ nothing I've tried makes him do it in the tray.

sirmione16 Wed 26-Sep-18 22:56:19

@ItWentInMyEye this is literally what our cat did!! Have you tried changing the litter type?!

LucyMorningStar Thu 27-Sep-18 08:05:17

Thank you for replies. The tray is uncovered and medium sized. I probably should invest in a fully covered tray...

She does place herself inside the tray but then all wee goes on the wall 😕

dementedpixie Thu 27-Sep-18 08:13:59

I have this high sided one from the petplanet website. It has high sides but isn't fully enclosed. Keeps litter in better too

AliceRR Thu 27-Sep-18 08:20:23

My rabbit does this. First I couldn’t understand what the issue was as he seemed to be peeing next to the litter tray. Having seen him do it a couple of times, I’ve seen that actually he sits on the tray but with his back end hanging over the edge so pee sometimes goes on the floor 😂

I’ve now got a litter tray with a rim / lid around it (about £6 Pets at Home) and that’s a bit better otherwise I plan to try a litter tray with higher sides.

LucyMorningStar Thu 27-Sep-18 09:25:53

Dementedpixie, thank you very much!

AliceRR, I tried watching my cat pee (what a thrill) and I think she does something similar confused

Honestly, it's a good job she's cute grin

gamerchick Thu 27-Sep-18 09:29:54

Just get a covered tray. I had to do it when mine kept shiting over the edge.

ifonly4 Thu 27-Sep-18 11:29:08

Wilko do some really cheap puppy training pads, I've got a couple under the litter trays and it helps.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in