Talk

Advanced search

Cat weeing or pooing blood

(7 Posts)
Bollard Sun 26-Aug-18 19:47:57

I’ve just found bright red blood in our shower and noticed the cat sitting over the plug hole looking as though he’s doing a wee or poo.
He doesn’t have a litter tray (does it outside).
He’s a neutered male, about 4 years old, otherwise in good spirits. He’s just asked to go outside so that’s where he is now.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Toddlerteaplease Sun 26-Aug-18 19:50:10

Probably cystitis. But he needs to go to the vet. As boy cats can get a blocked bladder.

Lynne1Cat Sun 26-Aug-18 19:53:43

Yes, it's Cystitis. He needs to be seen as an emergency. Male cats can die from it!
Feline idiopathic cystitis in cats (FIC) is inflammation of the bladder with an unknown medical cause
Cystitis in cats is very common and easily treated with anti-inflammatory medication, but can recur
Stress is thought to be the most significant cause of cystitis in cats, so there is lots owners can do to help
But owners of male cats must look out for warning signs of a blocked bladder which is a serious, life-threatening condition, which can have the same symptoms of cystitis in cats

Hookinghappy Sun 26-Aug-18 20:00:27

As others said, this can be an emergency. My cat did this and when I rang the vet they wanted him in immediately, they catheterised him and gave him antibiotics. The vet advised a change of diet long term so he now has food especially for urinary health. This was about three years ago and he’s been fine since.

Vinorosso74 Sun 26-Aug-18 20:01:34

Definitely a vet visit so you need to call OOH vet. For some reason these things have a knack of happening at weekends!

DiaryofWimpyMum Sun 26-Aug-18 20:03:24

yes a UTI probably. I'd get him to the vet when he comes back.

Bollard Sun 26-Aug-18 20:06:39

Thanks everyone. I’d thought that because he’s eating and drinking, and seems reasonably content, we’d wait and see. But it sounds like I should call the vet.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in