Talk

Advanced search

Advice on biting 5 month old cat

(7 Posts)
hlr1987 Tue 14-Aug-18 14:29:10

It's normal, cats teeth as well as like to pounce. It will grow out of it if you don't encourage it. I would expect runny poo as well if the teething is bad :s one of our cats does still dislike having his tummy touched though, just a personality quirk. Our kids just learnt where he liked to be touched.

iamiam Tue 14-Aug-18 11:31:48

Well the kids are good at whining so will give that a go! Thanks to you both for the advice

OP’s posts: |
Alwayscommuting Tue 14-Aug-18 07:51:35

I am going to sound a bit mad but it worked. Our cat when she was little used to bite and play fight with me and it hurt so every time she did it I would whine loudly and say ouch. It was suggested by someone tat works with a cat charity. Apparently it mimics when kittens play with each other. If they cross a line they squeal and that's how they learn when they've gone too far. It could have been a coincidence but it worked and to this day she plays rough with DH but not with me.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Aug-18 07:44:19

If shes been done it's just kitten playfulness, she'll grow out of it.

Try her with a kickeroo toy sprayed with catnip spray, she obviously likes kicking things.

iamiam Mon 13-Aug-18 21:07:17

Yes, cats protection did her at I think 10 weeks

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 13-Aug-18 19:36:03

Is she neutered? the pouncing is play behaviour.

iamiam Sun 12-Aug-18 22:16:40

We have had our little cat since she was 12 weeks, always had lots of toys etc but she is so bitey. She bites when on your lap being stroked so I assume she has had enough, or when you touch her belly, which is fine as they are warning signs to leave her alone but she also dives at you to bite your arm/leg or dives at the kids even when they are nicely playing, ignoring her.

I have told the DC not to touch her unless we are there to supervise and they know not to bother her while she is sleeping/touch her belly. When she bites we distract her with a toy if she is interested. Are we doing something wrong or is this normal?

Thanks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in