Talk

Advanced search

Cat peeing on bed

(7 Posts)
Blondie1993 Fri 03-Aug-18 17:46:38

I have two male cats who are brothers. They are 3 years old, both neutered around 4 months old. Both are house cats (I live in a top floor flat so letting them out isn’t an option.)

My problem is one of the cats has had very strange toilet habits from day 1. His brother used the litter tray straight away but he took some time. He will pee on rugs, cushions, throws, bath mats, in the washing basket ect. He will also pee on any clothing or towels left anywhere on the floor, on the couch or on the bed. I have removed every thing I possibly can (rugs, bath mats ect) and left the house basically bare of soft furnishings. I keep the washing basket in the kitchen now and keep the door closed. We live in a 2 bedroom flat and have four litter trays which are cleaned daily (most of the time two go unused but are changed anyway!)

The thing I can’t get past is peeing on my bed! He has done it in the past, it seems to stop and now he has started again. He has peed on my bed 3 times in the past 4 days. Nothing has changed at home, everything is the same as always. He has been checked by the vet on numerous occasions - no health problems. I have tried plug ins incase he is stressed. I have sprayed my bed with things cats aren’t supposed to like. I have locked him out any rooms with beds which makes it worse as he just pees on the carpet then.

I am at a loss as to what to do next, I really am. They are alone a couple of nights a week due to working hours but this has been the case most of their life. I am now at a point where I wonder if rehoming him where he can go outside would be the best option? But even then if I could bring myself to do it, should I separate them and keep his brother who definitely doesn’t do it or rehome then together?

Any advice would be massively appreciated, I really don’t know what to do anymore and coming home to my bed soaked through with cat pee once again is soul destroying!

OP’s posts: |
Els1e Fri 03-Aug-18 21:16:04

It might be worth trying different litter. Perhaps the phantom peeer has sensitive feet and he doesn’t like the litter. Sound grim though, I feel for you

sirmione16 Fri 03-Aug-18 22:36:00

I agree with Pp, try a different litter type. Our rag doll will only pee in wood and poop in anti bac stone 🤷🏻‍♀️ took us ages to figure this out!!

There's an episode from the series "my cat from hell" where a behaviourist sees a cat with peeing habits, perhaps worth trying to find that series on YouTube?

NotDrunk Fri 03-Aug-18 22:38:53

Ooh agree with above. I have 3 indoor cats, and only 2 will pee in the wood pellets and the other one prefers the chalky litter.

Blondie1993 Sun 05-Aug-18 18:01:41

Thanks for the replies, sorry think I just needed somewhere to rant a bit! I’ve always used wood pellets but usually from pets at home/Tesco - I picked up some from Morrison’s and didn’t really think that would be an issue but I’ve changed it back just incase and will look at changing half the trays to something else and see if he prefers that. Here is the culprit!!

OP’s posts: |
Els1e Sun 05-Aug-18 21:05:30

He is beautiful but does look mischievous.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 05-Aug-18 22:21:11

Ours did this but he hates wood pellets, it's very rough on paws and house cats have softer paw pads than outdoor cats.

They like ultra clumping, it's much finer grained so its more comfortable to dig in and stand on.

Wilkos do an ultra clumping litter very cheaply. It's excellent for keeping smells in too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in