Talk

Advanced search

Cat escaped from new house - help!

(11 Posts)
gnomeathome Thu 02-Aug-18 19:44:49

Moved into new home last night. Cat slept in the new house with us. I popped out this morning and when I returned the cat was gone. He must have gone through a window. There is no way he could return the way he came - it’s way too high. I think he must have jumped along the roofs of a few houses so would have ended up in someone else’s garden. He will be totally lost as we have only just got here.
I’be been wandering around calling his name, shaking food, talking to neighbours. Problem is he would not know where to find us. Please give me your best tips on how to get him back - should I sprinkle some of his littler tray near the back door? (Think I read that somewhere.) . At the moment I have a cushion by the fence and a cushion near the door so he might smell his way home. Should I strewn more garments etc around the garden (how to fit in with new neighbours🙀)

OP’s posts: |
Aridane Thu 02-Aug-18 19:49:43

Oh no. Pin up flyers locally, explaining, and giving your number

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 02-Aug-18 19:53:03

Litter by back door...pillow case full of ‘hoover’ dust will help him find your scent... fingers crossed.. is your original house far away? I would put up posters there too...

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 02-Aug-18 19:53:54

Pillow case full of dust hung on washing line that’s supposed to say

gnomeathome Thu 02-Aug-18 20:12:57

Old house is about 20 mins walk away - too far for the cat to find and lots of busy roads.

PatheticNurse Thu 02-Aug-18 20:18:57

Same happened to friend of mine. I suggested the hoover contents on front lawn.... she scoffed but then got desperate as the days ticked by.... cat returned the day after she emptied out the contents grin

dancemom Thu 02-Aug-18 20:24:43

Cats can find their way a long distance. I'd check with your old neighbours too.

Potentialmadcatlady Fri 03-Aug-18 08:17:53

20mins isn’t that far for cat who is used to outdoors..I would defo check your old house repeatedly over next few days and I would walk the route at night when it’s quieter and call the cats name while shining a torch to try and catch eyes with it. I would also check close to home-under bushes etc- cats are very good at hiding still under bushes etc...

gnomeathome Fri 03-Aug-18 08:38:16

Found him! About midnight last night. He was stuck on a neighbours roof. We had to use a very long ladder to get him down! We are still trying to work out how he got there, he must have been wandering around elsewhere and then something brought him back. This was after putting litter out and hoover bag in pillow case tips, do maybe that did work. thank you!

ThisIsNotMyRealName1 Fri 03-Aug-18 08:52:10

Yay, so glad he is home safe and sound smile

Potentialmadcatlady Sat 04-Aug-18 14:44:46

Brilliant news! Yaaayyy!!!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in