Talk

Advanced search

Loss of appetite, hacking/retching - hairball help??

(10 Posts)
AndPeggySchuyler Mon 16-Jul-18 18:36:53

Hi, it’s my first time posting on here but I’m very worried but also weary of possible vet bills if it’s something straightforward (learnt this the hard way!)

My four year old cat has been a little bit off of his food recently (week or so), but appetite completely gone last day and a half. I thought this morning he definitely looks like he’s lost a bit of weight.

Last night he started dry coughing/retching sort of like he be sick but nothing came up, not even bile. Quick google suggests it might be a hairball and could affect his appetite.

I’ve got some hairball paste arriving tonight (thank god for Amazon Prime) and just wondering if anyone has had anything similar with their cats, any tips to help the poor wee sausage?

I get so worried when he’s not well, don’t know what to do with myself sad
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
abbsisspartacus Mon 16-Jul-18 20:26:08

Hmm I gave my cat hairball paste he flicked it off his paw and stained the wall

abbsisspartacus Mon 16-Jul-18 20:28:06

Google suggests olive oil or coconut oil

Furrycushion Mon 16-Jul-18 20:34:41

Mine had a long piece of grass that had gone up the back of his nose. I eventually saw it poke out when he sneezed & was able to pull it out.

RandomMess Mon 16-Jul-18 20:36:25

Vet visit I'm afraid! There are at least 3 different reasons why our various cats have had these symptoms...

AndPeggySchuyler Tue 17-Jul-18 06:37:59

Thanks for all the advice! This morning he came in and ate a big bowl of fish so maybe this strange paste did the trick!

OP’s posts: |
DoraChance Tue 17-Jul-18 06:45:51

My cat does this and has asthma so not always hairball related. Probably worth a trip to the vet.

abbsisspartacus Sat 21-Jul-18 10:25:06

Furrycushion are you my neighbour? The exact thing happened with her cat

CookPassBabtridge Sat 21-Jul-18 11:05:44

Those whiskas anti-hairballs biscuits always do the trick for my cat.

Furrycushion Sat 21-Jul-18 12:54:42

Furrycushion are you my neighbour? The exact thing happened with her cat
I don't think I told any of the neighbours but apparently it is quite common. He had been really unwell & the vet couldn't find anything. He was so relieved when I pulled it out!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in