Talk

Advanced search

FLEAS !

(14 Posts)
ImNotAFlower Sun 24-Jun-18 20:14:26

I have just discovered our cat has fleas 🙈
What do I need to do?

He is treated regularly but has missed a dose (looking at the amount left)

I have treated him now and we have combed as much of him as he would let us.

We only brushed out a few fleas but did pull another 6/7 from his ears with tweezers.

Which flea treatment is the best?

Absolutely any advice welcome.

dementedpixie Sun 24-Jun-18 20:22:40

What have you been using? If it's not a vet treatment then I advise you go and get one as off the shelf ones are normally useless. I use stronghold plus. Maybe use indorex spray in the house too

ImNotAFlower Sun 24-Jun-18 20:24:18

This is the same one that the vet gave us but I did buy it on the internet (does that make a difference?)

dementedpixie Sun 24-Jun-18 20:25:17

What one is it?

ProfessorMoody Sun 24-Jun-18 20:26:16

What are you treating with? Lots of brands are useless. The only ones that have worked for us are Advocate and Prinovox.

I'd also recommend an Indorex spray for carpets etc.

ImNotAFlower Sun 24-Jun-18 20:36:54

I have thrown the box but it contains fipronil?

With the indorex whole house? How many cans does a room do please?

I just spoke to the vet she was happy with the flea treatment and said to brush him.
She also recommended indorex.

Footofthestairs Sun 24-Jun-18 20:43:02

You'll need to treat both the cat and your home.
I second using Advocate spot on, and the Indorex house spray. That plus washing any cat bedding and a really good hoover particularly round skirting edges should get rid of them.
Also Frontline is generally thought of as not effective now if that's what you were originally getting from your vet.

ImNotAFlower Sun 24-Jun-18 20:50:40

It was frontline but the vet on the phone just told me it does work but people not treating their houses is why it is thought of not to work?

I'm trying to find somewhere I can buy indorex locally I can't stand the idea of waiting to have it delivered <shudders>

Is the fact none of us has been bitten good news or am I clutching at straws?

Footofthestairs Sun 24-Jun-18 21:46:08

Our vets no longer recommend Frontline as anecdotally a lot of people were reporting fleas on treated animals. Apparently fleas are becoming resistant to it? A quick google seems to support this. Worth switching perhaps? Advocate and Stronghold also treat worms at the same time so not bad value.

jmh740 Sun 24-Jun-18 21:56:54

I'm not sure you can buy indorex I usuallyorder it from Amazon doesn't take too long to come

ImNotAFlower Sun 24-Jun-18 22:05:29

Perhaps we should make the switch then. I'll have a look into advocate and stronghold.

I have discovered our local pets at home has indorex so it's school run and directly there tomorrow.

My poor hoover is going to need a holiday by lunchtime 😂.

How far does a can of indorex go does anyone know? Do I need one can per room?

Thanks all I really appreciate the advice.

Footofthestairs Mon 25-Jun-18 05:53:00

Indorex cans are quite big so one can does multiple rooms. One can did all of our 2 bed house. So 5 rooms plus hall, landing and stairs.

ImNotAFlower Mon 25-Jun-18 07:10:07

Thank you that's brilliant. Kids to school me to Pets at home!

Silvercatowner Mon 25-Jun-18 07:29:59

I buy Advocate from Pets at Home. Because it is prescription only you have to register your cats and it comes by post every month.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: