Talk

Advanced search

Dandruff and drooling. My old lady

(11 Posts)
Griefbacon Wed 13-Jun-18 21:15:00

My cat is 19 and in generally good health - sleeps a lot, started using the litter tray after s few recent accidents but I’ve now noticed she has what looks like dandruff and is drooling s lot especially if being stroked
Anyone else got a car in need of head and shoulders?!

LanguidLobster Wed 13-Jun-18 21:38:11

Oh bless her. No knowledge of dandruff treatments (nor for the car!), maybe quick call to the vets?

LanguidLobster Wed 13-Jun-18 21:39:09

I dribble quite a lot in my sleep sometimes, it's not just her!

Griefbacon Wed 13-Jun-18 22:02:53

Drool likely to be old and knackered teeth but other than miaowing a lot which she stops if I feeds her she is fine. Just slow and a bit deaf!

chemenger Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:46

Maybe a little olive oil in her food would help her skin? I may be imagining it but I’m sure the vet recommended it for one of mine. Have her teeth been checked recently? That could cause drooling, but some kats just do dribble!

Toddlerteaplease Wed 13-Jun-18 22:15:29

Yes. Fatty gets dandruff. I put a few drops of salmon oil on their food. Can see the difference in her coat in a couple of days.

freshstart24 Thu 14-Jun-18 13:32:43

Drooling can be a sign of nausea. My old boy dropped as a side effect of nausea caused by kidney issues.

Having said that it sounds like your cats drooling is only when being stroked so maybe that's not the cause....

thecatneuterer Thu 14-Jun-18 13:59:19

Both those things are most commonly a result of teeth problems. You need to get her teeth checked. And it's still worth having a dental even though she is very old. The risks can be minimised and living with tooth pain is horrific, so the small risks are definitely worth it.

Rudgie47 Thu 14-Jun-18 16:55:24

You can get anti dandruff shampoo for cats from the vets.Its much better than what you get from petshops.

missmouse101 Thu 14-Jun-18 17:00:23

Likely mouth/tooth pain causing drooling and therefore inability to groom (lick)) herself properly, causing the dandruff. Make an appointment at the vets and get a soft brush to very gently groom her. Elderly cats also often can’t groom themselves properly due to arthritic spine, joint pain etc. Vets can help with pain management.

missmouse101 Sat 16-Jun-18 17:06:04

How did you get on OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: