Talk

Advanced search

Bullying magpies

(8 Posts)
MEgirl Wed 13-Jun-18 12:05:51

Having had the run of the garden and the neighbourhood since moving in, poor Apollo is now being harrased by a pair of magpies that have taken up residence at the back of the garden. He's taking it all with good grace but looks a little down in the dumps now that he's no longer king if his own space.

Vitalogy Wed 13-Jun-18 12:20:29

grin Same thing here, his teeth were chattering away at them, but made him skulk around for a bit. The black birds have a go at him too.

pinkmagic1 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:25:51

I have seen magpies dive bombing my neighbours cat when protecting their nest. Maybe they have babies and will stop when the chicks have fledged.

iwishicouldbelikedavidwatts Wed 13-Jun-18 12:28:03

snap here, although not resident, not seen them in a while. tbf we've had the evidence that he's nest-raided at least once so it seems like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

MEgirl Wed 13-Jun-18 12:45:38

I see him very occasionally with a very small bird. He always gets a telling off which he ignores. He's never gone for a large bird. He also never climbs the tree though he sometimes gets on the the shed roof. Fingers crossed they come to some sort of an accommodation. He sits under the patio table or the apple tree while they circle. He never tries to retaliate.

Vitalogy Wed 13-Jun-18 16:58:14

I've just been out in the garden and the black birds were harassing me blush

LanguidLobster Wed 13-Jun-18 17:46:39

Oh noooo, Vitalogy. Hold your ground!

Vitalogy Wed 13-Jun-18 21:44:13

grin I finished with what I was doing and went in, they were going crazy! Protecting their babies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: