Talk

Advanced search

Bald patch above eye (with pics) - how worried should I be?

(8 Posts)
snowbunny36 Mon 11-Jun-18 19:56:45

One of my cats has developed a bald patch above his eye in the past 24-48 hours. No obvious wound (but there has been a lot of fighting in recent months - he and his brother defending their territory against another neighbourhood mog). Skin underneath looks quite dry/scaly and today the whole area looks a bit swollen. He doesn't feel like he's running a temperature. I originally assumed the area was bald as he's been licking at it, and that his self-care would cure it, but starting to wonder whether it might require a(nother) trip to the vet...grateful for any second opinions!

OP’s posts: |
Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Mon 11-Jun-18 20:05:37

Could possibly be ringworm? Looks similar to how it presented when it went through my cats years ago. Would suggest a vet visit.

KnucklestheEchidna Mon 11-Jun-18 20:06:52

My cat had a patch like this after my other cat scratched him above his eye, although it wasn't nearly as large a patch as yours. It soon grew in again so I would probably say monitor it and if it starts to get worse, or get a bit weepy as though it's infected, I would visit the vet.

snowbunny36 Mon 11-Jun-18 21:04:00

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it another 24 hours and see what happens - possible photographic update same time tomorrow!

snowbunny36 Mon 11-Jun-18 21:08:27

Although having just googled ringworm in cats @Grumpyoldpersonwithcats I fear you might be on to something...will also keep an eye out for suspect symptoms with the children!!

Want2beme Tue 12-Jun-18 08:22:03

No idea I'm fraud, but just wanted to say that he's a lovely boy. Great bib he's gotgrin

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Tue 12-Jun-18 09:18:24

It does look a bit ringworm-like to me.

Not only does he have a lovely bib, but he arranges his front legs so very tidily : ) He's a very dapper gentleman altogether!

snowbunny36 Thu 14-Jun-18 21:21:34

Pending absolute via confirmation (pétri dish currently busy growing at vet's), yes we are working on it being ringworm so thank you for your swift diagnoses @grumpy and @utterley. Treatment seems to be taking effect fairly quickly though and he is noticeably happier today (see pic). Keeping a close eye on his brother for telltale signs of same though...confused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in