Talk

Advanced search

Moving house with cats

(2 Posts)
BlackHillsofDakota Sat 09-Jun-18 08:18:41

We are due to move house next month and have 4 cats. Does anyone have any tips on acclimatising them so they don't get lost? They are very much outdoor cats and I've been told keep them in for at least 2 weeks which I think is going to be tricky. Should I lead walk them to get used to the surrounding area? We have used leads since they were kittens so don't know if they would walk now! Any other tips?

OP’s posts: |
thecatneuterer Sat 09-Jun-18 17:35:35

Keep them in for at least three weeks. So you need to be very, very careful with open windows, doors etc.

Immediately after the move, for at least a few days, it would be best to keep them confined to one room, the quietest one you have. After that let them explore the rest of the house but don't let them escape.

Don't take them out on a lead. They need to feel that your new home is their home, hence the keeping in, then they shouldn't venture too far. If you are going to put a flap in then, after the three weeks, allow them to find the flap themselves. Make sure that the only way they go out is via the flap.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in