Talk

Advanced search

Cat not come home

(43 Posts)
Nick18 Sat 02-Jun-18 19:26:26

I've been googling this all day – and every time I am sent to Mumsnet.
I have a 10-year-old rescue cat who's been with my for 10 months and seems really settled. He asks to go out when he feels like it and asks to come in by tapping on the patio door.

But last night he was howling to go out from 11pm onwards. I gave in and let him out at midnight. But, more than 19 hours later he's still not back.

We're in an urban area so wouldn't expect him to wander further than neighbouring gardens as he appears to have been doing. He could have wandered further. He could have been injured. Or is it too soon for me to be worrying. Only had three hours sleep last night. Really need an early night tonight but am concerned in case he comes back when I'm not awake to let him in.

OP’s posts: |
Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Jun-18 20:15:23

What area do you live in?

Nick18 Sat 02-Jun-18 20:23:13

Liverpool.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Jun-18 20:34:35

Ok, standard procedure is notify microchip company he’s missing, leaflet your neighbours, local Facebook spotted pages & empty the contents of your vacuum cleaner onto the garden. If he has a tray you can leave it outside so he can smell home.

If he’s taken to a vets they’ll scan the chip and ring you.

If you take a torch out and call him at night it’s easier to hear him, plus their eyes reflect in the torchlight.

Nick18 Sat 02-Jun-18 21:17:04

Thank you. Yes, tried all that so far. My hunch it that (as long as he's not met with an accident) he's actually not very far away. There are around 10 gardens linked by fences etc. But, may I ask, why the contents of the vacuum cleaner? Because it smells like home?

trumptrump Sat 02-Jun-18 21:24:31

19 hours isn't much for a male cat. Is he neutered?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Jun-18 21:27:11

Correct.

It really is a waiting game now. Do keep calling though.

Nick18 Sat 02-Jun-18 21:50:14

Yes, he's neutered. He usually gets quite excited when it's time for bed – he snuggles up with me and drools with happiness. I really shouldn't have let him out so late last night – it was warm and all the cats were behaving differently.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Jun-18 21:52:10

It’s always hard to get them in on warm nights.

laperadeigatti Sat 02-Jun-18 21:53:14

Fingers crossed he is back soon, it is hard to stay calm though thanks

kissthealderman Sat 02-Jun-18 21:55:41

Missing cat advice collated from previous posts:

Put their litter tray/bed/blanket/contents of your hoover outside so that they can follow their scent home.

Put stinky wet food around the boundary of your property.

Post on Facebook local pages, Petlog, community websites, gumtree etc with a photo, date last seen and location, and your contact details. Contacting social organisations for the elderly including church groups are often very helpful and kind.

Print posters with a photo, date last seen and location, and your contact details.

Put posters/flyers with above information through neighbours doors asking them to check sheds, garages and out buildings.

Contact all local vets, RSPCA and PDSA asking them to keep an eye out.

Go out at night when it is very quiet and still to call for them and listen. (this was what eventually brought my cat home).

Knock on doors with your flyers and put a human face to your missing cat. Neighbours are often more likely to check their sheds of help you look when you’ve spoken to them.

kissthealderman Sat 02-Jun-18 21:58:45

I send my good luck OP, it's so worrying.

Please check tall trees around you, when our cat was missing we checked all sheds and garages in our village and knocked on all doors but it turned out he was stuck 11m up a tree for 8 days and rspca and fire brigade had to get him down. So I now always tell people to check trees!

Nick18 Sat 02-Jun-18 22:06:23

Thank you so much for all the help and advice: It makes me feel better to know that others have had cats return after a while. Just hoping he comes back before I go in to work on Monday. I've made up a bed by the back door so I can hear him if he returns during the night. (One of the other cats has already pinched it.) Thanks again.

kissthealderman Sat 02-Jun-18 22:09:08

Will work be kind if you need to not go in?

I was useless the week he was gone, they would have been better off without me at work.

ObiJuanKenobi Sat 02-Jun-18 22:13:11

Oh what s naughty boy! So sorry OP it's the worst feeling not knowing. My last cat did this to me and then just wondered in about a week later like nothing had happened angry

Nick18 Sat 02-Jun-18 22:16:42

Alas not, Kiss. I'm a teacher so there is no excuse for absence – worst was having to go in the day after my brother died.
That is good news, Obi – just hope he returns when I'm around.

kissthealderman Sat 02-Jun-18 22:24:01

Ah, bugger.

Fingers crossed he's home tomorrow. They don't usually go far, statistically they wander back after a day or two.

Posting this because it helped me but is potentially upsetting but... if you've searched about and not found him yet then it's good news. DP works for a cat rescue and I know a couple of vets, and cats that have been hit by cars seem to be found very soon. If there's no sign it's hopefully a sign he's just gone on the piss looking for a party/lady.mice etc.

kissthealderman Sat 02-Jun-18 22:25:13

Hope that makes sense, I'm on the gin.

chickydoo Sat 02-Jun-18 23:06:26

Hope he comes home soon.
I know how you feel.one of mine went missing, found her in a neighbours garage after 3 days.
She was fine. I was in pieces.
Try & get some sleep

Nick18 Sun 03-Jun-18 09:11:11

Am holding on to all the positive comments above about cats returning after two or three days. He's been missing two nights now but it's warm and perhaps he's just having a mid-life crisis! Thanks everyone.

kissthealderman Sun 03-Jun-18 09:19:57

Lots of people are mowing their lawns or getting their bikes out in the warm weather. Has he definitely not snuck in a shed or garage and then got locked in.

Will the neighbors let you have a look in their sheds if you go door to door?

Allergictoironing Sun 03-Jun-18 09:26:35

I know a cat that returned after a whole month. Thinner & scruffier, but otherwise fine, apart from the health problems he had before he went walkabout anyway.

Nick18 Sun 03-Jun-18 09:33:37

I think it's unlikely that he's in a shed because of the time he went out. However, will widen my leaflet drop this afternoon.

AlonsoTigerHeart Sun 03-Jun-18 09:36:09

My sisters cat fred likes to wonder of for 4/5 days then stroll in all blasé demanding food
She was a mess the first few timesbut 6 years in she doesnt worry till hes been gone a week

kissthealderman Sun 03-Jun-18 10:09:26

Good luck today. May we see a photo?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in