Talk

Advanced search

Ginger is the new black

(51 Posts)
thecatneuterer Sun 27-May-18 11:13:32

I don't know what's going on this year. So far we've hardly had a litter come in that hasn't contained at least one ginger kitten. Lots of litters have been entirely ginger - even the girls.

And guess what? Suddenly people don't want gingers. We just offered a boy/girl pair of adorable ginger kittens who said they didn't want ginger and didn't we have any black ones! WTF. We have ginger kittens everywhere that not a soul wants. Every other year they would be the first to go and we'd just be left with hundreds of black kittens.

There's no real point to this thread. I wonder if it's being replicated across the country.

Want2beme Sun 27-May-18 11:26:44

What a shame. I don't understand the desire to have a particular colour cat. A cat's a cat and should be given a home regardless. I absolutely love longhaired tuxedos, but I wouldn't exclude any other cat because of my preference. Hope it's not a new trendhmm

Vinorosso74 Sun 27-May-18 11:26:51

You don't think there's a particular ginger Tom responsible for them all do you wink?
I've not seen any at CP yet but the kittens are only in the centre when they're ready to home so time will tell.
Maybe everyone suddenly got the memo about black cats being harder to home?
When I did my shift this week the centre had predominantly tabby or tabby and white cats but it seems to go in waves another time it may be mainly black and white ones.

thecatneuterer Sun 27-May-18 11:33:20

Vinorosso, I had wondered about people getting the message about black cats, but if you were that welfare minded then surely you would accept any friendly kitten that the rescue says really needs a home.

I doubt it's one ginger tom responsible for the lot - litters are coming in across a radius of around 15 miles.

I've also just been doing two concurrent TNR jobs when I've caught upwards of 16 ginger toms from two gardens.

Ollivander84 Sun 27-May-18 11:40:20

We adopted two semi ferals for the stables - one is black/white and one is ginger!
I mean how could anyone turn down this tail?!

Wolfiefan Sun 27-May-18 11:43:37

You're kidding. My daughter would do pretty much anything to have a ginger cat. And also a tabby. We have torties. Seem to be a lot of them about up here.
Don't think I could persuade them to tolerate a ginger friend. sad

Vinorosso74 Sun 27-May-18 11:54:28

There's obviously a lot of randy ginger toms out there!
I agree if you're looking to adopt you wouldn't worry about colour. I'm sure someone will soon fall for them. When we adopted our young lad I admit I didn't really want one who looked like our old girl.
Ollivander he is a beautiful cat!

thecatneuterer Sun 27-May-18 13:53:37

One of my unwanted fosters ...

Ollivander84 Sun 27-May-18 13:59:29

Those eyes!

Vinorosso74 Sun 27-May-18 14:01:31

Oh don't...... How cute.

gamerwidow Sun 27-May-18 14:09:36

Ginger Toms have a bad reputation as bully boys don't they? I can see why some people might think they would be wilder than other kittens.
We've just adopted two beautiful ginger and white 5 & 7 year old boys. They are the most lovely soppy cats you'll ever meet. Such as shame that your kittens can't find homes.

gamerwidow Sun 27-May-18 14:11:59

My boys

Icequeen01 Sun 27-May-18 15:32:50

When I saw these two in the rescue centre there was no way on this earth they weren't coming home with me. I love gingers 💕 but then again I love black, white, grey ...... anything that purrs really!

Icequeen01 Sun 27-May-18 15:35:26

And they grew into two big soppy boys. They don't have a mean bone in their body!

thecatneuterer Sun 27-May-18 15:37:20

I'm not particularly aware of gingers having a reputation (unlike torties). Most seem fairly soppy.

Yours are gorgeous Icequeen.

happytobemrsg Sun 27-May-18 15:39:54

My 2 boys. The ginger one has the sweetest temperament (his brother on the other hand is a cheeky monkey!)

TheWitchwithNoName Sun 27-May-18 15:42:28

My ginger

TheWitchwithNoName Sun 27-May-18 15:43:35

His brother had already been taken - otherwise I’d have had the pair of them

StripySocksAndDocs Sun 27-May-18 15:56:41

What? My ginger boy is a right softy.

Don't understand this change in trend (mind you I never got the dislike of black cats). My boy came to this house due to a tiny dumped kitten needing a home. Sex or colour mattered nothing.

strawberrypenguin Sun 27-May-18 16:33:09

I e never I stood picking a cat on colour - they aren't an accessory. I've always looked at personality when choosing a cat

viccat Sun 27-May-18 20:26:18

At our rescue it's still the blacks and black & whites that stay with us for a long time... Everyone seems to want a tabby, we are inundated with enquiries if we put a tabby on the website, especially a long haired one...

Sunshine49 Sun 27-May-18 21:07:54

I adopted a ginger boy and a tortie girl (brother and sister) from a rescue centre and they are both lovely. The ginger is very mischievous and playful (and we love that about him - never a dull moment!) but also very affectionate, talkative (he chirrups all the time) and really enjoys being fussed! I have a soft spot for the colour, as one of my childhood cats was ginger. All the ginger cats I’ve known seem to have the biggest personalities.

I’m always surprised when people mention that torties have a bit of a reputation too, as my tortie girl is the softest, sweetest cat in the world. She has such a kind and gentle temperament.

Cheripie64 Sun 27-May-18 21:56:01

I adopted my ginger girl 13 years ago now, from a rescue centre in Kent, she is lovely, never had a problem with her, one thing that puzzles me is that she has a three digit number tatoo in her ear, in blue ink, anyone heard of that before ?

RyanStartedTheFire Sun 27-May-18 21:57:17

Just reserved this sweet girl today. Now that you mention it, she was the only kitten who hadn't been adopted out of a mainly black and white collection where I used to find it was the other way around.

gamerwidow Sun 27-May-18 22:10:40

aw ryan she is a cutie

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: