Talk

Advanced search

Flea and worming treatments

(7 Posts)
cherrytrees123 Mon 30-Apr-18 09:43:08

I have an eight month old cat. My previous cat was treated with Frontline and Drontal. Frontline wasn't;t working at all in the last years of his life. I gave him the Drontal by opening his mouth and putting the tablet in it, or causing it and mixing with his food.

This cat was given a syringe with liquid in it when she was a kitten for worms, but she will not touch food if I mix it in and won't allow me to open her mouth. I have no idea what to use for fleas now as it's all based on weight, and without taking her to the vet i don't know what to do. We have moved to a new area where there are several vets and I have used two of them, one for spaying and one for a check up when she was smaller. I know I sound clueless, but what would people recommend for worming and flea treatment which is hassle free for a very canny cat?

OP’s posts: |
ShaniaTwainAndTheRubyKitKat Mon 30-Apr-18 09:46:02

I use diatomaceous earth on her fur along with bob Martin spot on

ShaniaTwainAndTheRubyKitKat Mon 30-Apr-18 09:50:03

(Food grade only)

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 30-Apr-18 12:10:29

Bob Martin has two spot ons one is just frontline by another name and the other is permethrin and can in some instances kill cats.
Drontal is still an excellent cat wormer, but the standard tablet treats a 3kg cat and most cats are over this so you need two or one of the giant XL tablets. So my preference for worming tablet is milbemax as it covers up to 8Kg.
Fleas there are various good spot ins about my preference is bravecto as you only have to do it once every 3 months.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 30-Apr-18 12:29:21

We use Profender spot on as a wormer and Bravecto spot on for fleas. Both only need to be done every three months so it means less messing around for him.

MasterLeonard Mon 30-Apr-18 12:42:12

We use Profender spot-on for worming (as pp says, every 3 months) and Advocate spot-on for fleas every month in spring/summer/early autumn, bit more lax in cold weather. We only go for the monthly and not the 3-monthly because one of our cats is an absolute flea-magnet and monthly seems to manage it better. Spot-on treatments are a lifesaver.

Don't worry too much about the weight thing. The ranges are very big (Profender for large cats is 5-8kg, medium cats 2.5-5kg, Advocate for large cats 4-8kg). You can get a good-enough weight reading from kitchen scales (put small box on scales, put cat in box).

Vinorosso74 Mon 30-Apr-18 13:00:06

We use Milbemax wormer every 3 months and Stronghold for fleas monthly. Our vet recommended Stronghold over Advocate due to the weight boundaries as Advocate have one for cats under 4kg and one for over 4kg whereas Stronghold is for 2.6kg to big cat (they do one for cats under 2.6kg).
Avoid Bob Martin products! The safest and most effective are the ones from the vet (or online with a prescription); they do cost a bit more but it is better than dealing with a flea infestation!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in