Talk

Advanced search

Kidney failure

(6 Posts)
GhostsToMonsoon Tue 24-Apr-18 14:11:23

My lovely cat had to be put to sleep last week. At the weekend, she had not her normal self (wasn't eating much and looked listless, and wasn't miaowing or purring) so I took her to the vet on Monday. They did some tests and it turned out her kidneys had completely packed up, and her mouth was ulcerated. She could have gone on a drip and had antibiotics, but the vet said that it would have only prolonged her life by a few days. Has anyone else's cat had such a rapid demise? Until a couple of days before she died, she seemed completely normal. She was coming up to 9, so not a very old cat. In hindsight, she must have lost some weight, but not so much that I'd noticed (she'd never been a plump cat) and was perhaps drinking a bit more, but I hadn't seen her being sick.

Strax Tue 24-Apr-18 14:16:48

Yes mine did. She was totally fine one day then I found her hiding out in a bad way, took her to the vet and her heart was struggling and lungs were filling with fluid. They operated and drained her lungs and gave her some heart medication to take at home. She came home and basically wouldn't eat or drink. A few days later I took her back to be put to sleep, from start to finish it was about 10 days. In hindsight I wish I hadn't found her that day because she would certainly have died but at least she'd have been spared the intervention and last few days of misery.

ifonly4 Tue 24-Apr-18 14:22:01

I last my boy to kidney disease last year. I took him to the vet as I'd notice him drinking, which he didn't normally do. He'd been slowly losing weight prior to that and I just thought it was being part of an old cat. At the time he had stage 2 kidney disease but it progressed very fast to stage 4 and literally off the scale within eight weeks. If I hadn't been concerned about him drinking more, I'd only have had concerns the last week or two.

Even though I knew he had a problem and tried to help with diet and extra water, it made no difference.

ifonly4 Tue 24-Apr-18 14:23:19

I forgot to say, sorry for your loss. I know it's not easy at the moment, but try and hang onto the good times with her and the fact she had a home were she was loved and well cared for.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 24-Apr-18 14:29:34

Yes. My parents first cat died very suddenly at the age of 18 from kidney failure.She was fine until earlier that day. We also lost a second cat to it, but not sure how old she was.

GhostsToMonsoon Tue 24-Apr-18 14:44:10

Thank you for the replies. It sounds like something that is often picked up when it's too late. I can't believe she seemed fine on Friday and was dead on Monday. I really miss her and keep expecting to see her around the house (usually sleeping on my bed, or sticking her bum in my face when I'm on the computer).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: