Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else’s cat insist on being both inside and outside at the same time?

(38 Posts)
ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Fri 13-Apr-18 17:01:09

grin

He wants out, then in, then out, then in. He will scrabble at the door as if he is in fear for is life, then take two steps inside and turn and go back out again. Then will turn back and come in, sniff the floor and walk out again, then poke his head back in then go again. I’ve just left the door open now. It’s cold but I’m lazy. grin

OP’s posts: |
Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Fri 13-Apr-18 17:06:17

Don't all cats do this? All the ones I've ever had do. grin

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrongNajork Fri 13-Apr-18 17:15:31

At this precise moment one of ours is walking out of the open back door, back in through the cat flap in the wall round the corner, over to the back door..... when it rains he sits in the catflap tube.

AnnieAnoniMouser Fri 13-Apr-18 17:17:27

Yep. Hence the cat flap, through a glass bifold and step required each side.

It was that it strangle the little buggers!

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Fri 13-Apr-18 17:17:37

😂 aunt! They’re weirdos!

My girl cat never does this. She lies on my bed all day then goes out for a couple of hours after her dinner and then home for around 10. The little boy - -shit- - wants in and out all day long!

Nowwhyareyoucrying Fri 13-Apr-18 17:21:50

Yes. They want to be the other side of any shut door. For no reason. It's infuriating!

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Fri 13-Apr-18 17:25:40

My cat seems to believe that the front door and the back door lead to two different dimensions 🙄😂

NickMarlow Fri 13-Apr-18 17:27:51

Mine thinks the weather is different outside different doors. Poke head through catflap at the back of the house, come back in because it's raining, whine to be let out the front and stunned that its wet there too....!

dementedpixie Fri 13-Apr-18 17:29:47

One of mine wants the front door open then sits and sniffs the air rather than go out. If it's raining he then goes to the back door in case the weather is better there

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 13-Apr-18 17:32:13

Schrodinger's cat: wants to be simultaneously outside and inside

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Fri 13-Apr-18 17:39:13

Oh yes! He will sit and sniff the air by the door he directed me to open. But not actually go out. hmm

dementedpixie Fri 13-Apr-18 17:40:19

I have to gently nudge mine with a toe to get him to move although sometimes that just makes him reverse instead

Want2beme Fri 13-Apr-18 17:50:49

Cats hate a closed door. Plus, they're nosy as hell and complete control freaks grin

kalinkafoxtrot45 Fri 13-Apr-18 18:06:49

My cat does this. Head outside the door sniffing the air and bum warm and cosy inside. Pesky!

That1950sMum Fri 13-Apr-18 18:11:08

My cat sit inside with her head out of the cat flap watching the squirrels. House is bloody freezing.

ElizaDontlittle Sat 14-Apr-18 08:50:43

I have a Schroedingers cat too - she is happiest sat in the open back door, facing the garden but I need to be pottering in the kitchen - she is out, and not out, and with me, but by herself, all at the same time. If only it would warm up a bit - we spent all of last summer like this!

Izzy24 Sat 14-Apr-18 08:53:47

He’s trying to train you.

Not going well by the sound of it 😊

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Sat 14-Apr-18 09:58:56

I’m not a very enthusiastic servant, I admit! grin

MinaPaws Sat 14-Apr-18 09:59:53

The legal definition of Cat is: A furry pet on the wrong side of a door.

lovemylover Sat 14-Apr-18 10:09:20

One of mine pesters to go out the back door,then immediately comes to the window to come in again, almost every time, shes weird
Also goes mad to get Whiskas crunchies,[gone off dreamies] but doesnt want the biscuits, just the carton to get the biscuits out herself,
She will struggle for ages to get the lid off

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 14-Apr-18 11:08:21

I finally realised that she didn't want to go out right now, she just wanted the door open so that she had the OPTION to go out when she wanted. And back in again. And out..

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 14-Apr-18 11:17:40

My cat is nearly 10. We've only ever lived in this house, so why does she have an expression of utter amazement on her face every time I open the front door? It's like "wtf! I didn't know that grass and trees and cars were out there!". About 10 times a fucking day. She has a flap but that's only for coming in hmm Usually accompanied by a live mouse.

evilharpy Sat 14-Apr-18 11:19:38

Mine cries at the back door to be let outside. So we let her out. Then she realises it's raining/windy/cold/not what she was hoping for. So she comes back in immediately and tells us off for not fixing the weather the way she likes it. Because it is our fault, as are all things that are not to her liking.

Faintlinesquints Sat 14-Apr-18 11:22:46

My cat did this, until I realised she just wanted a quick pee and be able to come back in again - I think she worried (totally projecting here) that if I shut the door and she pee’d, I wouldn’t be there to let her back in.

Stupid as it sounds (and yes I’m her human slave), I have to wait at the back door let her go off and do her business then come back, and if she can see me there, she’s happy as Larry blush

Can you get a cat flap? My door is too thick unfortunately!

TuftedLadyGrotto Sat 14-Apr-18 11:25:06

One of ours goes out the cat flap and then waits by the French doors. Sometimes scrabbling furiously. Often one of the other cats will come and alert us. Open door, she turns away as if she has no idea what you are doing and had never any intention of coming in. Close door, she comes back and stares like an orphan extra from Oliver at us again.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in