Talk

Advanced search

Cat food for fat 10 yr old

(8 Posts)
LinkyPlease Fri 23-Mar-18 18:29:07

My cat is 10.5, always been fairly healthy but in the last year or two he's got a bit porky. This has coincided with me feeding him nicer quality cat food.

He used to have sainsburys own kibble with one sainsb pouch a day. He now has Schmusy wet food twice a day (just a teaspoonful) and kibble like Bozita or Arcana
Links:
m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/acana/132343
m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/schmusy/schmusy_trays/538257

I've only just twigged that maybe as he's over ten he should have senior food, so my questions are:

How important is having senior food?

Can he have eg Arcana, or is it the wrong balance even though it is so full of lovely natural ingredients?

Is he likely to be fat cos of reduced calorie requirements now he's older, the wrong food balance now he's older, or is it more likely due to eg being fed by a neighbour? I'm considering getting him a collar with writing on asking not to feed him too

He's due vax in a month or two so I guess I can ask the vet then, just wondering on MN cat expert views 😽

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
LinkyPlease Sat 24-Mar-18 13:35:41

Bump

OP’s posts: |
YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 24-Mar-18 13:49:06

No idea OP ... But I thought I'd bump this too ... Any chance of a photo? Also a search might give you some results. I think this has been discussed before.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 27-Mar-18 16:09:16

He probably is starting to slow down a bit as he gets older. Wet food is lower in calories than dry, volume for volume, so you could alter ratios a bit.

Crispbutty Tue 27-Mar-18 16:10:58

We have just adopted a cat who is a fatty. She’s 8 and has always been a house cat so will watch this thread with interest too.

Papergirl1968 Wed 28-Mar-18 01:24:49

She’s lovely, Crisp , beautifully marked.
Her expression says she is the queen, ordering the minions around grin

Guiltypleasures001 Thu 29-Mar-18 13:40:54

I need to see more pics of crisps fat cat 😍

dinksandbinks Fri 30-Mar-18 20:25:47

I had a thread about fat cat not too long ago! Miss Dinks is only 8, so not senior, but is a lazy madam. She’s also a bit anxious and comfort eats. We put both her and her older brother on to Hills Metabolic plus Urinary (they are Russian Blues, both prone to urine crystals), wet and dry food.

The biggest revelation for us was how much better Dinks regulates her appetite when she gets wet food. They have half a pouch each in the morning, and crunchies to graze on throughout the day. Dinks has lost almost 1.5kg and is nearly back to healthy weight.

Have a google for a visual weight chart for cats - that is a much better indicator than actual weight. Your vet will be able to tell you, too, when you go for jabs.

P.S. Crisp she’s gorgeous!! And absolutely looks like she rules the place. Definitely need more pictures!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in