Talk

Advanced search

Cats and relationships

(5 Posts)
Justusfornow Wed 14-Mar-18 19:17:19

I met my SO 4 years away,quickly fell in love however then realised I was allergic to SO cats 🤦🏻‍♀️ I had never had (nor wanted) a pet before. However I tolerated them. We moved into a new house in November (cats moved in with a friend from may until January - bliss) they are now here,albeit sleeping in the utility and going in and out the window as they please - we live beside a big field and they appear to love it. The only arguments we have are about the cats. They make me itchy,eyes water and very wheezy - I developed asthma from them (as per my gp cats are asthma carriers). Recently my tolerance is lowering - especially as they run in the front door every day I finish work and up the stairs rubbing their claws against everything (in my new house) I neevr lift them, when I can get them into the kitchen they then jump on counters,sit on the sofa and other general cat behaviour- SO doesn't see this as an issue and just puts them out (could be an hour later) while I am having major anxiety about it and getting really frustrated. SO then shouts they can go but don't think it's meant. Any advice it is putting a strain on our relationship

OP’s posts: |
LanguidLobster Wed 14-Mar-18 20:53:19

That's a shame sad

What did your GP suggest?

Justusfornow Wed 14-Mar-18 21:06:59

GP gave me an inhaler for as/when,10mg antihistamine (which make me drowsy when I use them daily 1 fine for odd time) and told me basically to avoid the cats and could we not get rid - feel bad it's not the cats fault and there is two of them aged 8ish chances of getting rehomed are probably poor

Want2beme Wed 14-Mar-18 21:16:47

It's not much of a home life for them. Your SO obviously loves them and is probably very anxious about the situation. I have heard of people with cat allergies adjusting over time, and ending up no longer allergic. If you're going to stay together, you'll have to become a mad cat slave like everyone else in The Litter traygrin.

Justusfornow Wed 14-Mar-18 21:31:53

I have heard of that too was hoping it would happen but since I got asthma I feel like all my other allergies have heightened too 🙈 I may just keep trying ! They are cute - as long as they aren't in my space 😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in