Talk

Advanced search

19 cats. Anyone else got this many?

(183 Posts)
Justanamechange Mon 12-Mar-18 03:30:07

I'm just seeing if anyone else has a large number of pet cats? We have 19, plus 3 dogs, a bearded dragon, about 50 hens, a couple of peacocks and some ducks. I thought a tips and idea sharing for multi pet households thread might be nice!

My tips - all hardwood floors. Robot hoovers and mops on each floor of the house to keep the house clean easily.

Buy flushable cat litter, it's a godsend!

LolitaLempicka Mon 12-Mar-18 04:35:26

So while it may be a godsend to you, just how is that flushable litter doing for sea life?

treaclesoda Mon 12-Mar-18 04:44:38

Flushable cat litter is really irresponsible. The sewage system isn't set up to handle either the litter itself or the parasites associated with cat faeces.

Justanamechange Mon 12-Mar-18 05:19:24

Well...It's made of corn, so entirely biodegradable. I also have a septic tank, so the litter gets collected and processed.

Justanamechange Mon 12-Mar-18 05:39:38

Oh, and with the amount of pets we have I can assure you everyone, dog, cat and bird are entirely parasite free. Our pet healthcare schedule is like a military operation - it's not optional. However, I'm quite sure that any sewage system could cope with any amount of parasites. It's one of their primary functions.

AwkwardSquad Mon 12-Mar-18 05:44:30

Didn’t take long for people to piss all over this thread hmm

I only have one cat, OP, but I’m fascinated by the idea of 19! Is there a power struggle over who gets to sit on your lap, or do you get covered in a blanket of cats?

BarbaraOcumbungles Mon 12-Mar-18 06:20:38

How’s the local wildlife doing?

booboobutt Mon 12-Mar-18 06:41:56

Cats like to live alone, don't they? How do they all get on, how do you have enough space for them? I have one cat and would love another but I'm aware that for the most part hey are solitary animals.

EachandEveryone Mon 12-Mar-18 06:44:49

Boo im not convinced that's true. Mine are inseparable theres a year between them.

Horses4 Mon 12-Mar-18 06:49:28

I have two, one of which constantly looks like she is planning my imminent demise. I would live in terror of the conspiracy that 19 could come up with.

AwkwardSquad Mon 12-Mar-18 06:51:31

And there can’t be anything left on any shelf or worktop, cos the cats will have shoved it all off.

insancerre Mon 12-Mar-18 06:54:19

My neighbour has 1 cat, which is 1 too many
It shits in my garden and scratches the car as it sits on it
I can't leave my patio doors open or even my downstairs windows as it just comes into my house
It also kills the birds

I would hate to live next door to somebody with 19 cats

booboobutt Mon 12-Mar-18 06:54:23

each are they related? What sex are they? If not related, when were they introduced? I have read that female, related cats are the most likely to get on well. I know cats can and do live together but they are not pack animals and I don't know that I'm convinced it's good for them to live with 18 others.

Justanamechange Mon 12-Mar-18 06:59:27

I get covered in a blanket often! The cats work it out pretty well. Several sleep on the bed, others have particular favourite rooms or furniture to sleep on, and wait till we're in the right location to demand snuggles. Most are very cuddly and will happily sleep in a big puddle together. A couple are stand offish (our pets are mainly rescues, several are disabled). We have almost no bickering and a very peaceful home with a person in the house all the time, so it's not hard to make sure they all get lots of loving. Our lives revolve around our pets (and working to pay for them!).

IveGotStupidHair Mon 12-Mar-18 07:01:09

Your neighbours must love you.

Justanamechange Mon 12-Mar-18 07:01:26

We live very rurally in an old farmhouse. No neighbours or roads anywhere near!

ChaosNeverRains Mon 12-Mar-18 07:03:07

Pet hoarding is actually a recognised condition.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 12-Mar-18 07:04:29

I bet you wish you’d never started this thread - it didn’t take long for the miserable buggers to arrive!

I only have one cat who is in the process of bankrupting me and Petplan! I’d love another (not sure I could cope with 19!) but it wouldn’t be fair on Harry.

ChaosNeverRains Mon 12-Mar-18 07:05:16

Added to that, no reputable rescue would rehome to someone with nineteen cats unless they were e.g. farm cats moving into a colony.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Mon 12-Mar-18 07:06:47

I'm curious how you acquired 19?

RaindropsAndSparkles Mon 12-Mar-18 07:07:00

How can you afford 19 cats? One costs me over £1000 a year.

WakeUpFromYourDreamAndScream Mon 12-Mar-18 07:09:10

The cat hair all over beds and worktops alone must be horrendous. I have 2 cats and I am forever cleaning up hair hmm

SuperBeagle Mon 12-Mar-18 07:10:31

I can't imagine the state of a house with 19 cats living in it.

Nup, no thanks.

WhyBeDennyDifferent Mon 12-Mar-18 07:12:00

I only like 2 cats maximum otherwise I feel a bit catted out.

I know a couple who have something like 26 black cats! I don’t know how they can tell them apart. Can’t even begin to imagine the racket dinner time brings, mine is so loud and meowy on his own.

How much does the food cost in say a month?

BluebellTheDonkey Mon 12-Mar-18 07:13:00

You need a reply from thecatneuterer I believe she has 20+ cats and does amazing work with feral and rescue cats. Of course it can work with that many cats if they are living as the OP describes, well cared for and living rurally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: