Advanced search

Could my rescue kittens be part Maine Coon?

(25 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Wed 07-Mar-18 12:49:39

They are 7 months old. I had assumed they were common or garden cats but now I'm wondering...

They are both short haired (female tabby and male black/white) but their sister who was rehomed elsewhere had a longer coat.

The tabby is about the size I would expect but the black and white boy is ENORMOUS. He was the size our old girl was when she died before he hit 4 months and the vet said we had to get him neutered early, which we did. He weighs a ton. He's got a kind of mane-looking thing on his chest - really fluffy - so he looks like a lion when he sits down. He has big round pale eyes. Hers are more cat-shaped.

They both have those weird tufts of fur at the points of their ears.

Behaviour - they aren't particularly lap cats but they like to be where we are. If I'm cleaning they will follow me around the house and investigate everything I'm doing. They miaow very rarely but they talk to each other with little noises.

They are both OBSESSED with water. If I have a bath they both come and lie along the side. She tends to dangle her tail in. She will curl up in the sink just to be near the tap and they both come running if we turn the kitchen tap on. She will try to catch the water with her paw.

I don't know if any of that stuff is typical for Maine Coons but I'm sure I read about the water thing. They are definitely unusual cats either way!

Shadow666 Wed 07-Mar-18 12:50:39

Photo please 😻

MrsCharlesBrandon Wed 07-Mar-18 12:52:53

Have you got a picture?

It's possible, my old cat was definitely part Siamese. Very vocal and tabby colouring but only markings on her points.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 07-Mar-18 12:57:11

Oh I can't, my stupid phone is playing up. Will get DH to take one later!

IHeartKingThistle Wed 07-Mar-18 13:05:22

This is them at nearly 4 months not letting me have a bath in peace. He was big then but is a lot bigger now. Hard to see the ears in this pic though.

They do just look like regular cats but just those few things had me wondering. They are very lovely!

oppsthereshegoes Wed 07-Mar-18 13:18:41

What are their feet like? Do they have extra thumbs?

The water thing sounds like a coon. My pair of part coon assholes will only drink from running water.

The dog water bowl they literally try to bathe in and throw it everywhere.

They also like sleeping in frying pans on the stove top.

They're gorgeous cats but massive twats.

oppsthereshegoes Wed 07-Mar-18 13:19:23

The mane thing sounds coony too. Do they get trousers in the winter?

IHeartKingThistle Wed 07-Mar-18 13:51:07

Where do I look for the extra thumbs?

oppsthereshegoes Wed 07-Mar-18 13:58:32

On their feet gringringrin

It's called polydactyl or something.

TheNavigator Wed 07-Mar-18 14:01:54

Mu rescue cat also loved to play with the dogs water bowl & will only drink from a running tap. Pretty sure she is just a moggy. Who knows -
or cares, really?

IHeartKingThistle Wed 07-Mar-18 14:48:43

Just checked - no extra toes!

I don't care as such navigator, was just interested.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 07-Mar-18 16:34:17

Boy's just brought me a dead squirrel. FFS only had the cat flap a week!

BeBesideTheSea Wed 07-Mar-18 16:36:25

Could be worse ... could be a live squirrel grin

IHeartKingThistle Wed 07-Mar-18 16:39:20

I did think it might be faking for a bit. But on closer inspection it was extremely dead and not all that fresh. Any chance I can train him out of this? No?

BeBesideTheSea Wed 07-Mar-18 17:11:55

Ah. More opportunist clean up crew than trained killer then.

Smaller cat flap?

GinGeum Wed 07-Mar-18 17:20:18

I tried to convince DP our 12 year old rescue beast is part Maine coon, because of his sheer size, and also that he doesn’t meow. He loves water too. To be honest, I don’t think he meows because he had a shit 10 years in his last home and has just got a croaky meow now. And I think he only likes running water because it’s moving and he likes to hunt!

EarlGreyT Thu 08-Mar-18 01:54:35

They could be part Siberian. The rounded eyes are a trait of the Siberian cat.

1stMrsF Thu 08-Mar-18 23:24:29

They are really beautiful!

Astr0terf Thu 08-Mar-18 23:26:45

Look at his little white sock!

Justanamechange Tue 13-Mar-18 10:28:28

Theres every possibility. If so, lucky you! We have two and they're amazing. Ruthless hunters though and soak the floor playing in water, even our disabled geriatric Maine coon can't resist dabbling and splashing.

OliviaStabler Wed 14-Mar-18 07:30:25

They're gorgeous cats but massive twats.

I so agree. My boy is beautiful but daft as a brush.

evilgiraffe Wed 14-Mar-18 07:36:17

Looks lovely, but the pic doesn't look hugely reminiscent of a Maine Coon. Post another photo in six months - the mane really develops with age.

RickOShay Wed 14-Mar-18 09:29:51

They are beautiful grin
Very pointy ears, don’t know if that is a maine characteristic. My cats also like to inspect bathtimes, I don’t know how they don’t fall

CantChoose Thu 15-Mar-18 21:09:59

They have the pointy ears... don't look fluffy enough in the pic but you never know!
We were told by battersea that CantCat is a Maine Coon cross. Here is him inspecting the bath.
I bought him a little robofish toy that I put in a Pyrex bowl - he loves it.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 15-Mar-18 22:00:10

Ooh yes he's properly fluffy isn't he? Beautiful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now