Talk

Advanced search

We've rehomed a Maine Coon and he's gorgeous in so many ways except for one.

(53 Posts)
Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 11:32:21

We rehomed a young adult male (2years 2 months). He was in a house with 7 other cats and was terrorising them. He is obviously unhappy sharing his space with other cats. With us he is a calm, confident beautiful boy and takes our dog in his stride.

The only problem is him crapping on the floor. He wees fine in his litter tray but deposits enormous turds about a foot away from the tray.

I bought him a second tray thinking it would help. It hasn't. I'll post a picture so you can see the current awkward set up.

The trays are both 50cm. He is 6.3kg . Are they too small?

He's a great cat but I'd like to get this glitch sorted quickly so if anyone has experienced the same thing or has any inspired ideas I'd be grateful.

Our last cat was an inside/outside cat so trays were never an issue.

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 11:39:33

Here's the current litter tray set up. The original under the table that he uses and the new one in the middle of the floor which he also uses to wee.

Regularsizedrudy Sat 24-Feb-18 11:44:19

I would put them in different rooms. My cat likes to keep wee and poo very separate. Also when he does one on the floor put it in the tray for a while so he knows it should be in there.

BrainlessDailyMail Sat 24-Feb-18 11:45:40

I need to see cat next to tray. They do look small for a big cat.

AnoiaUnstickMyDrawers Sat 24-Feb-18 11:47:41

Have you seen him do it? Mine perches on the edge of the tray to poo (not wee) and when we had a smaller tray that meant his aim wasn't always as accurate as we would have liked! Now he has a bigger tray he can fit his fluffy great bum in it however he wants...

CauliflowerBalti Sat 24-Feb-18 11:47:59

The trays look too small for such a big cat. When mine wee they just crouch and go, but a poo involved much circling and digging and kerfuffle. The fact he does it near the tray suggests to me that he knows he’s in the right place but needs more room.

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 11:48:13

Ok, i can try different rooms.
I did smear some on the tray to transfer smell. I didn't put the whole thing in there- too smelly.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 24-Feb-18 11:48:46

Definitely bigger tray.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 24-Feb-18 11:48:59

😻😻

Ours has a Modkat, which he jumps into from the top, and he poops in this with no problem. He likes to have a good dig and kick, and I think the regular trays were too small for him, and he used to go over the end. He poops at one end of the tray, and wees at the other. So the wee would go in the tray, then he would (dig, dig, kick) and the poop at the other end. Over the end. He used to get alarmed that he couldn’t cover up the poop outside the tray and would run to find a small child’s pair of pants or a tea towel to cover it up. He is a very tidy gentleman!

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 11:50:37

No, haven't actually seen him in action. But the circling settling haunches wriggle that they do outside takes spaces doesn't it? Bigger tray then?

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 11:52:30

Do I need two? Or would one giant one do? Where do you get such things, I thought the ones I'd bought were large.

PhelanThePain Sat 24-Feb-18 11:55:20

Definitely bigger tray.

Mine are both small cats 3.5kg and 4kg and I use those large enclosed trays that have roof and a cat flap. However mine don’t like the roof and flap so I only use the base part of them. They like space to turn. My boy cat will poo outside the tray if there is even the slightest smidgen of pee in it too.

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 11:57:49

What size are they Phelan?

PhelanThePain Sat 24-Feb-18 11:57:56

In your case I wouldn’t actually buy a litter tray I would buy one of those shallow under bed storage boxes. Not the super long ones but the ones that are slightly larger than a large litter tray. You can get them in B&M or Argos.

PhelanThePain Sat 24-Feb-18 11:58:17

I’ll go check

dementedpixie Sat 24-Feb-18 11:59:39

We have this xl one

PhelanThePain Sat 24-Feb-18 12:01:04

Mine are 60cm long and 38cm wide

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 12:03:09

MrsS and Demented do you think the high sides help them feel less exposed?

dementedpixie Sat 24-Feb-18 12:04:09

It stops the litter getting flung too far out too

Elvisola Sat 24-Feb-18 12:06:22

My Persian is huge and although he will wee in the normal tray he will only poo in one of the big covered ones with the cat flap door on. If I'm a bit slow cleaning it he will just poo in the bath 😫

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 12:08:10

At least you're unlikely to step in it Elvisola.

Ollivander84 Sat 24-Feb-18 12:10:02

I use an under bed box as a litter tray

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 12:10:14

Right, I've managed to get a photo of him next to one and you're all right it is too small.

DumbledoresApprentice Sat 24-Feb-18 12:10:54

Our MC has a large Kuggis storage box from ikea as a litter tray. It works well and gives plenty of space for her to dig around.

Silverstreaks Sat 24-Feb-18 12:12:39

All of you using massive litter trays, do you just have the one?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: