Talk

Advanced search

Drinking more than normal

(10 Posts)
tryingtobethebestican Wed 21-Feb-18 23:43:44

We went away for a few days last week and since we got back I've noticed lovely seventeen year old cat seems thinner. He is also drinking l more water than usual and thinking about it the litter tray has need changing more often than normal because so wet. He seems to have lost weight too because you can feel his backbone and he just seems to have aged a LOT in the last couple of weeks. I'll try and get a vet appointment tomorrow but can someone please reassure me. That his is ok

OP’s posts: |
tryingtobethebestican Thu 22-Feb-18 06:34:03

I didn't leave him on his own! I just read that back and it sounds like I did.

viccat Fri 23-Feb-18 12:22:27

Yes, definitely a vet appointment is required. The most likely issues are hyperthyroidism and renal (kidney) problems, both very common in older cats.

thecatneuterer Fri 23-Feb-18 12:56:09

I'm afraid we can't reassure you as there is almost certainly something wrong. If is a thyroid issue though at least something can be done about it and it's much easier to treat than failing kidneys or diabetes. So I hope the vet will be able to tell you that it's something treatable.

lljkk Fri 23-Feb-18 12:58:44

My cat did this (weight loss, more drinking, more litter tray) & passed the blood tests fine. Nothing could be found truly wrong. Our best bet at moment is he might have a bit of IBD (so I've now got him on steroids). He's had some of the IBD symptoms for YEARS but without weight loss/drinking loads.

The steroids are tiny, easy to feed & old-cat is puking much less than he used to, so they may be having a beneficial effect.

lljkk Fri 23-Feb-18 12:59:12

£180 for the appt & blood test, though. Ouch.

tryingtobethebestican Fri 23-Feb-18 17:25:06

Thank you, he has kidney disease poor thing so just off to the vet to get some special food and powder for him. They also said he needs blood pressure checks next week and need to get a urine sample to make sure he hasn't got an infection. I feel bad because kidney function is less than 25% I think they said so I wish I'd taken him sooner but its only been the last week that he's been drinking a lot more than normal.

tryingtobethebestican Fri 23-Feb-18 17:27:02

@lljkk I'm glad your cat is improving a bit now and ouch at vet bills...

lljkk Fri 23-Feb-18 18:40:11

At least kidney disease is so common that they must have a lot of good ways to manage it. How did they determine his kidney function?

tryingtobethebestican Sat 24-Feb-18 13:34:25

They just said it is less than 25%.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in