Talk

Advanced search

Changing from petplan

(7 Posts)
Toddlernighthell Wed 14-Feb-18 12:59:11

Got my renewal through the other day and it’s so expensive!
2 cats - 11yr old and 7yr old. One very healthy and one healthy but a heart murmur (no treatment needed this far).
Will I get screwed over if I change to another company? Or am I being screwed over by their massive prices?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 14-Feb-18 14:31:11

It depends. My cat is insured with Petplan and, although they are expensive, I can't fault them as they have paid out every time we've claimed (and there's been a lot!).

When was your cat's heart murmur diagnosed? Was he insured with Petplan at the time? If he was insured with them I wouldn't change as it's an existing condition (despite not needing treatment) and another insurer wouldn't cover it. If he wasn't insured with Petplan then they wouldn't cover it either so you could change.

What level of cover have you got? Is it lifetime cover? If so I would think carefully before moving the 11 year old cat (I don't know if it's the one with the heart murmur or not) as many insurers won't provide lifetime cover for older cats, usually over 10 years old.

Toddlernighthell Wed 14-Feb-18 16:23:47

I think the murmur was diagnosed while he was insured - it’s the 11yr old (BigCat) who has it.
We’ve been lucky and only ever claimed for 2 Dental’s for BigCat and nothing for LittleCat.

I think I’m going to give them a ring and also do a price comparison thing online.

I do remember a few years ago a facebook friend having massive problems with the pet insurance company she used disappearing and not being able to get cover for her older animals afterwards.
That’s what really scares me with moving away from petplan

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 14-Feb-18 16:32:38

I would be inclined to keep BigCat with Petplan and shop around for LittleCat. Tesco have positive reviews on here.

I seem to remember one of the banks offering pet insurance and then stopping so people with older pets couldn't get cover. Also a lot of companies don't cover dentals. As Harry has had a lot of issues with his teeth and jaw it's been a huge help!

Rudgie47 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:57:18

You'll have to keep Big Cat with Pet Plan. Try Argos for the other cat,I'm with them and they have a good reputation for paying out and are reasonable.I think I pay £9.50 a month for my cat.
Also ring pet Plan and say you are thinking of moving on and could they do you a deal? You never know they might be prepared to reduce your payments to keep you.

Muse84 Thu 15-Feb-18 19:53:14

Take care! Everything you ever been to the vets with them for will be excluded if you take out a new plan

viccat Thu 15-Feb-18 22:25:01

I definitely wouldn't change for the 11 yo. After 8-9 you're limited as to which companies will insure anyway, and all will exclude anything pre-existing. You're unlikely to find many cheaper options and if you do, they might not be nearly as comprehensive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: