Talk

Advanced search

Harry has a job...

(6 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 11-Feb-18 12:56:46

Well sort of. MIL is 99 years old, in a nursing home and confined to bed. He visited her a couple of years ago and she loved him but he hasn’t been back as she sleeps more and more and I didn’t want to put him in his box only to find her asleep.

When we visited yesterday MIL was was saying how one day is the same as the next so I decided Harry is going to be a therapy cat. I’ve cleared it with the Home and they think it’s a great idea. I’ll shut the door and hold him when he’s out of his box.

Now bear in mind this is accident prone, grumpy Harry, there’s nothing that can go wrong is there? At least he can’t bite anyone...

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:20:52

Is he likely to be furious after being shut in his box?
Will other residents want to touch him and does he tolerate stroking for prolonged periods?
Current a would probably be quite good at something like this. Old girl would probably have caused a spate of deaths at the home!
My boy had a short term contract de- mousing next door's cellar a while back!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 11-Feb-18 13:46:50

That's a lovely idea, I'd love to do that with my girls. But they are too nervous.

thecatneuterer Sun 11-Feb-18 14:15:45

Great idea. I do hope that if I end up all alone in a home one day someone will bring me a therapy cat from time to time to brighten my day.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 11-Feb-18 15:05:49

He goes limp when he's in his box which is one of the reasons we can't do it very often. He'll be taken straight to MIL's room and won't see any of the other residents as most of them don't leave their rooms (they can, but most of them aren't in a good way) so they'll all be safe. He doesn't like being stroked for long periods but I'll be holding him so will be on the sharp end of the claws!

MIL always liked him and said he was a pretty boy, although she did tell me I should have him put to sleep when he broke his jaw as it was cruel to keep him alive 'in that state'. In the next breath she offered to pay for his treatment if the insurance didn't!

I know what you mean TCN, I feel the same. Do you think Celia Hammond would have me at Greenacres? Living out my days at a cat sanctuary in the country sounds ideal!

Ski37 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:49:13

What a lovely idea! At least try it once and then you’ll know ....!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: