Talk

Advanced search

tips for loft conversion/cat

(9 Posts)
ohhereweareagain Wed 07-Feb-18 13:06:43

having our loft done in april and am DREADING IT as i am going to have to keep our cat shut in one room (she is only allowed out the back normally in the back garden but with builders around cannot rely on them to keep the side gate shut so she will be kept in one room). i am feeling such guilt about her having to be shut in one room (not the house but literally one room as front door will be open). any tips from anyone who may have had their loft done and who has a cat that can't be let out to wander. thanks

thecatneuterer Wed 07-Feb-18 13:40:49

Shutting in one room is certainly the best option. It's not forever. Try not to feel guilty.

ohhereweareagain Wed 07-Feb-18 15:42:07

thanks thecat. i know it's only temporary but i will feel awful as she's spoilt rotten

Want2beme Wed 07-Feb-18 17:39:29

I'd say to make sure you can lock the door of the room she'll be in. I did a similar thing years ago, told the builders not to go in the room my kitten was in, but they completely ignored me and she disappeared under the floorboards of the room they were working in and laughed at me for being upset about it. I found her, but a lock in the door would've saved a lot of heartache.

ohhereweareagain Wed 07-Feb-18 18:59:21

thanks want2. oddly enough i had already thought about getting a lock. we are having a loft conversation and apparently have to have new doors (fire doors) and have already been to a door place and included locks as none of the doors in our house have locks. Even when the builders have gone home for the day, i have no idea how the house will be in the early stages. it will be like having a baby again in that the place may not be safe for her (cat) to roam around ie getting under floorboards as you have experienced/sharp tools left lying around. nightmare really. i can deal with the noise/dirt but my cat is the only thing i am really concerned about. she's gonna HATE all the noise & change in routine.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 07-Feb-18 20:28:33

Put her in a cattery for a week. Then you can relax and not worry about her.

ohhereweareagain Wed 07-Feb-18 21:52:29

i can't. the building works will go on for weeks rather than one week. i'd rather have her locked in a room during the day than put her in a cattery for weeks on end.

viccat Wed 14-Feb-18 19:19:29

I did that with my cat when I had the bathroom refurbished. It went on for two weeks. In the evenings I allowed her more access - I was able to close doors to the rooms where tools etc. were so it was safe.

It wasn't ideal but it's fine. At the cat charity I volunteer, we always have the cats waiting for rehoming in a suite/room and often for several weeks, even upto 2 months. They are fine. It's a bit more difficult at your cat's own home where they are used to more access to favourite places of course, but they cope.

ohhereweareagain Wed 14-Feb-18 22:14:37

Thanks viccat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now