Talk

Advanced search

Luxating Patella

(13 Posts)
Timmytoo Mon 05-Feb-18 20:27:17

Hi

My cat has been diagnosed with this meaning his knee dislocated especially if he's been sleeping and he stands up.

The vet said it's hereditary and over time the cartilage has worn down. I'm giving him Hills for joints. The vet said it's mild so surgery isn't an option for now.

Has anyone had experience with this? I'm thinking about getting him a physio that specializes in cats but don't know if this would help. He's my everything so I will do or pay anything for him to get better.

Papergirl1968 Mon 05-Feb-18 22:52:29

No experience, sorry, with cats and dislocating knees, although my daughter has had surgery for it!
However, I’ve read a few articles on the benefits of hydrotherapy for cats, so might be worth checking that out.

Wolfiefan Mon 05-Feb-18 22:56:42

How is food supposed to stop knee dislocation? Isn't it painful? Does it happen often?

retirednow Mon 05-Feb-18 23:11:03

The food won't stop his knee dislocating but I guess it keeps,the joints smooth and supple, is it like taking joint supplements in humans. I would look at physio, can they wear splints, poor little thing.

Timmytoo Tue 06-Feb-18 05:26:24

Thanks all I was also thinking if hydrotherapy but was worried as he hates water and didn't want to make him scared.

The food was to help with the joints as it has special ingredients in it to assist with joint management.

Basically the vet said he Socket where he his knee joint sits is too shallow to his knee slips out. When he gets up he collapses for a bit then stretches it back into the joint and can then walk well.

Other than that the vet said he's in mint condition and is a fine specimen of a cat. She's very impressed with his overall health. I've attached a pic of him.

Timmytoo Tue 06-Feb-18 05:32:23

Some pics of the poor little man.

ScreamingValenta Tue 06-Feb-18 10:06:12

Replying mainly to bump this for you, but I will throw in that my dog had this condition as a pup. The solution was to pin the kneecap in place with a wire - we had this done 10 years ago and he has been fine ever since. He had to have his leg in a cast for about two weeks, and the cost was around £1000 (covered by insurance). I don't know whether the same treatment could be performed on your boy?

He is super-gorgeous by the way! What a lovely little face he has.

Wolfiefan Tue 06-Feb-18 15:46:11

Surely he needs surgery to deepen the groove? I'm assuming he's not allowed out.

WellWhoKnew Wed 07-Feb-18 00:42:51

I have a cat with one. It was operated on successfully but he does get winter arthritis with it. As a kitten he really suffered so it was op or be put to sleep. He limps around quite happily and I believe he is pain free most of the time as despite having an exceptionally grumpy face, he's a contented sort. Very glad he's still with me.

Allergictoironing Wed 07-Feb-18 07:52:27

Mt DSiL has a rescue with a luxating patella. She's a smallish cat & it's not too bad, and the vet has recommended that unless it gets a LOT worse they don't really need to consider surgery. The cat doesn't seem to be in pain from it & copes well, and they've had her a few years now and it doesn't seem to be any worse (yet). I think they give her joint supplements, otherwise she's treated the same as their other cat.

They are indoor cats so a less physically stressful life, and the one with the patella problem can't jump as high as the other one, but she isn't really a "high up" cat anyway.

migmogmash Wed 07-Feb-18 08:02:31

Hi, I have a little cat who had this- hers was fairly bad though and affected both back legs. She had 2 sets of surgery (one leg, recovery time, then the other leg) and is absolutely fine now. It improved her quality of life immensely and you wouldn't know she'd had it- only issue is insurance cover but as she's an indoor cat that lessens the risk of any accidents at least. Hers was done just before I got her (she was being fostered as she was found as a very skinny stray and handed in to a vet practice) Have they discussed surgery as a possible option?

migmogmash Wed 07-Feb-18 08:04:23

ahh, sorry just seen you said vet thought it was too mild for surgery. Which is good- I'd definitely explore the possibility of physio to see if that helps. He's beautiful by the way smile

Timmytoo Wed 07-Feb-18 16:24:49

Thanks so much for the responses. Sorry for the delay in updating but I'm en-route to the states on a business trip.

Since the vet he seems to be limping less each day which is great. My DP is looking after him until I get back and he says today has been a big improvement. I'm going to continue with the food and possibly will get a physio in just to assess it and maybe they can make a knee band or something just to keep it in place. I feel so sorry for him as I've never seen him limp before.

Thanks for the compliments on his face. He truly is beautiful and such a sweet boy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: