Talk

Advanced search

So your cats bring in animals as presents?

(26 Posts)
grabbymare Sat 13-Jan-18 10:16:18

Just that really?

Toddlerteaplease Sat 13-Jan-18 12:02:25

No, thank God, mine couldn't catch a cold.

duckdarlington Sat 13-Jan-18 12:03:56

Yep. And now my todlers are doing it too.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Jan-18 12:13:47

Yes but not often not often now he knows I'll take them off him.

flumpybear Sat 13-Jan-18 12:17:54

Yes! My female cat used
To bring in goldfish, frogs and birds

My
Male cat was lazy and would bring in chicks from the nest, along with the odd half a burger or sausage left over from neighbours bbq and he randomly brought home what was left if a beef joint one Sunday!

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 13-Jan-18 12:40:46

randomly brought home what was left if a beef joint one Sunday

Did you feed it to him?

ToadOfSadness Sat 13-Jan-18 20:47:19

Mine used to, first one was a pigeon, heard blood curdling yowls and the cat flap being battered and he brought it to me and dropped it on the carpet. He also brought me a live bunny which he put down proudly to show me, and watched as it ran off.

It is worse when it is something small and it gets lost and dies in the house.

Neighbours cat kindly brings mice in and eats them on the kitchen floor, leaving blood up the walls. He also brings birds which are not always dead and I wrestle them off him and put them in a little box to recover and release from upstairs.

My cats were indoor cats after a while but I was still presented with dead bats caught from the open window on to the roof.

yourhavingagiraffee Sat 13-Jan-18 20:53:59

I don't cats anymore but when I was younger living with parents our cat brought in a mouse, it was alive and ran behind my built in wardrobes.

I could here it at night squeaking and running but never got it while we lived in that house 😑

Cowardlycustard2 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:01:56

I have had frogs, mice, bats, birds, rabbits and the other day a huge squirrel that my girl cat was proudly swinging round by the tail confused All part of the joys of owning a DCat. It’s pretty gross but I don’t really mind when the things are dead it’s when they are still all always alive and end up running around the house with you in hot persuit!!

flumpybear Sun 14-Jan-18 05:38:29

Spartacus - he brought it for us, dropped it at my feet then cried for cat food !! My husband binned it, kept saying he should wear a mask the little cat burglar I bet somebody wanted that for beef sandwiches later lol grin

CocaineAndCaviar Sun 14-Jan-18 22:00:22

Our cat used to bring us all sorts of delightful presents - adult moles, baby moles, bats, rabbits, tons of birds and mice...

She went through a stage, thankfully only for about a month or so, of bringing back live mice which we'd have to hunt out and release. This then escalated into bringing back the heads of mice, literally just a bloody fresh head, which she'd decide to ever so thoughtfully hide around the house. Usually behind cushions on the sofa. 🙄

One time a couple of years ago, she'd brought back a mouse and dropped it in front of my mum, meowed in pure glee and trotted off. 5 minutes later she returned with a baby mole, dumped it in the same spot and headed off again. 5 minutes later, back with a rabbit. 5 minutes later, she came back screaming and limping, and her leg had swollen 3 times the size. She'd spotted a viper that presumably she wanted to gift my mum, but it ended up biting her and giving her a really nasty reaction. Vet said another couple of hours and it probably would have killed her. I think she's learnt her lesson now! grin

susurration Sun 14-Jan-18 22:02:56

My cat brings in Moths and Butterflies. She couldn't catch anything else if her life depended on it. She takes them to my husband who is terrified of them and drops them in his lap. I think its because she loves him more than me, she hides from me when she brings in butterflies because she knows I'll take them off her.

Thehogfather Sun 14-Jan-18 22:14:38

One just hunts for food, just kills things and eats them. Anything biggish she brings home to eat. Likes to leave suprise hidden gifts, for me to find, occasionally a whole mouse but more often part of her dinner.

The other is also pretty good at hunting, but afaik wouldn't tackle anything bigger than a squirrel. She brings live, unharmed rodents and birds home and presents them proudly. Then with her work done likes to lie back and relax whilst enjoying the spectacle of me trying to catch the gift. One rather vile night both of them sat at the window in the warm dry house, watching me stand in the heavy rain till the released mouse had got its bearings like I was a spectator sport.

fairylightsdown Sun 14-Jan-18 23:48:04

Corn on the cob when neighbours have bbqs. Worms, frogs .. always undamaged and re-released. One bird.. sadly didn't make it.

Elusiveone Mon 15-Jan-18 00:01:01

My youngest cats brings in butterflys and my older cat does mice frogs birds and slow worms yuk lol

sillysausage16 Mon 15-Jan-18 00:05:08

I have a daily present from both my boys. So far I've had rabbits mice voles frogs pigeons a baby dove, moles (I actually witnessed one of them digging one out of a mole hill), a mouse in a trap from someone's shed, a toy snake, string, leaves, a sausage, part of a chicken and feathers

hummusscot Mon 15-Jan-18 00:12:22

Nothing over Winter (I'm guessing because they've been going out less!) but over the summer they both brought something in almost daily. The worst was a very injured baby bird sad It's mostly mice though.

DriggleDraggle Mon 15-Jan-18 00:15:19

yup.
she favours my husband who has become quite used to opening his eyes in the morning and seeing a dead mouse a few inches from his face 😁

often she brings them in live and lets them loose in the living room so we can all play hmm

we have become expert in catching mice and popping them back outside

DriggleDraggle Mon 15-Jan-18 00:16:44

oh and she sometimes catches birds too.

last one was a cute robin who was bloody furious

Ollivander84 Mon 15-Jan-18 00:20:22

Nope. Never. A leaf or a crisp packet is his maximum haul

BulletFox Mon 15-Jan-18 00:21:54

Only fleas. Ba boom.

One of the best things about her being indoors now is that she won't get them again.

YetAnotherSpartacus Mon 15-Jan-18 09:00:12

A leaf or a crisp packet is his maximum haul

I bet he's as proud as if he had just brought home a whole cow though smile. And I bet he gets praise, treats and cuddles as a reward.

Kenworthington Mon 15-Jan-18 09:19:14

He would if he could but we don’t have a cat flap (on purpose!) and full glass door out to the garden so I can monitor what he’s bringing in. Usually mice and slow worms, though he did once catch a robin which made me sad. He has once managed to sneak in a mouse. Ds2 stood on it when he woke up in the morning. Apparently it was an odd mix of furry and slimy <boak>

Kenworthington Mon 15-Jan-18 09:20:26

Oh and he used to bring home whole pouches of wet cat food from his girlfriend next door (but sadly she was run over and killed so he doesn’t bother hanging round there anymore- plus more importantly, no food obvs!)

AuntLydia Mon 15-Jan-18 09:22:45

Not too often thankfully. The older cat is too lazy and hardly ever catches anything, the little one likes to bring us the odd bird. We do keep them in over night so I wonder if that helps as they're not out at dawn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now