Talk

Advanced search

Grieving

(10 Posts)
falange Thu 11-Jan-18 17:52:57

My cat was pts yesterday because of suspected lymphoma. She was old and hardly eating. IAm devastated, I live alone and she was my little friend. I was sent home from work today because I couldn't stop crying. I have to go in tomorrow because we are so busy but I know people are unsympathetic because it's just a cat but I'm scared the same thing is going to happen and I'm going cry all day. I'm not normally like this. Does anyone have any tips for getting through tomorrow?

mollypopsal Thu 11-Jan-18 22:55:00

I'm so sorry for you and your darling cat. People may be more sympathetic than you think at work, but if they aren't, take no notice and get through the day as best as you can.
I have never been ashamed to grieve openly for my cats, as you say they are our friends too and we love them. Concentrate on work as much as you can and be gentle with yourself at home as this is a very sad time for you.

BulletFox Thu 11-Jan-18 23:07:45

I'm sorry x

Some people will understand, others won't.

Have a little cry tomorrow in the loos whenever you need to

timtam23 Thu 11-Jan-18 23:09:54

So sorry to hear about your little cat. When my cats died I managed to go to work and get through it by keeping myself very busy, offering to do extra tasks that day & trying to keep my mind on other things. Fortunately my colleagues were mostly sympathetic but I found that if they talked to me about the cats I started to cry, so sometimes it was easier not to talk about it at work & try to get through the day.
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. As time passes it does get easier to think of the good memories and to be able to smile over them.

Want2beme Thu 11-Jan-18 23:18:54

So sorry for your sad loss, it's very hard to cope with. Is tomorrow your last day at work for this week? Break the day down into stages. You get up, get ready, arrive at work and start your busy day. Tell yourself you can have a little break mid morning to make a cuppa. Then, it's nearly lunchtime. Do you have a kind colleague you can pop out with? The afternoon arrives and you can think about going home. Add another tea break or 2 and you'll be out the door before you know it. You'll then be able to give your thoughts over to your lovely girl. All of us know how you're feeling. She'll always be with you. I live on my own and I wouldn't be without my 2. I've had many cats over the years. Maybe you'll want to bring another floof into your life in time. Sleep well. We're all thinking of you flowers

Want2beme Fri 12-Jan-18 13:44:44

Hello falange are you ok? Not long til home time. Hope you have a restful wknd.

Greensleeves Fri 12-Jan-18 13:47:46

I'm so sorry flowers. It will take time, just like any other bereavement. And don't listen to any of the "just a cat" nonsense. You've lost a loved one and of course you feel devastated.

falang Sat 13-Jan-18 22:06:24

Hi. It's the OP here with a slightly different name (got hacked so closed all accounts and reopened with different details). Thank you so much for your kind words. Friday was easier as long as people didn't ask me if I was okay! Today was better and I've been packing up her stuff to give to our local shelter which my OH will take tomorrow. So weird not to have her greeting me each morning and when I come in. Thank you all again.

Want2beme Sat 13-Jan-18 22:24:37

Oh dear, how awful for you. Take each day as it comes. That's all you can do.

BluebellTheDonkey Sat 13-Jan-18 23:12:12

I'm sorry for your loss. RIP dear pussflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now