Talk

Advanced search

Adopting an older cat, have you?

(52 Posts)
Footdrama Wed 10-Jan-18 11:01:26

Hello,

I’m in the process of adopting a 10 or 11 year old female cat; through the Cat Protection Society.

We’ve given it much thought, but I’m just so excited to be finally getting a cat that I might be missing something. Also a few conversations I’ve had with a couple of friends has worried me a little.

The cat’s profile is perfect, likes fuss and lap cuddles, likes to play and be centre of attention. We have no other pets, a large enclosed back garden and my 3 Ds s’ are very sensible, caring and animal lovers.

However, what am I missing? A friend has said an older cat will be harder to insure and might not be around for years to come. But then that could happen with any cat? My children all agree it’ll be lovely to give an older, unwanted cat a loving home. What do you think? Any experiences/advice greatly appreciated. TIA

Vinorosso74 Wed 10-Jan-18 11:09:30

The older ones take longer to rehome so good you want to adopt a senior. That said A cat that age is the equivalent of 56/60 in human years. Cats are living longer and some regulars on here have had some live to 20 and older.
You may find it harder to get lifetime insurance cover. If not still get the cover which covers a condition per year until limit is reached but I recommend also putting aside a sum of money each month to help towards any future vet bills.
I say go for it!

QueenOfAccidentalDeathStares Wed 10-Jan-18 12:50:46

I adopted mine when he was 14. He is now 19.5. I would do so again without question.

HardAsSnails Wed 10-Jan-18 13:01:12

We adopted ours at 9 and he'll be 16 this year, he's amazing and was absolutely the perfect fit for us. He's recently been diagnosed with arthritis and is on meds for this which we pay for as he's not insured. I would adopt an older cat again.

Footdrama Wed 10-Jan-18 14:49:40

This is all good to hear. Many thanks.

Incrediblehulky Wed 10-Jan-18 14:58:20

Footdrama - I think adopting an older cat is wonderful! You will be giving this cat who might otherwise struggle to find a home a loving comfortable home and happy life. She's a lucky old girl and I wish you all much happiness together 😁

freshstart24 Wed 10-Jan-18 15:06:36

You've done a wonderful thing for a cat heading into its golden years. I'm sure he will love you for it.

I had my last 2 cats from age 4 and they both lived to 17. They both only seemed properly old until their final year or 2. Both were wonderful as they got older- loving, characterful, great company.

Good luck.

ToadOfSadness Wed 10-Jan-18 15:07:17

One of mine was estimated at 8 - 10, we had him for almost 11 years. He got a bit frail and had heart problems but he hung on for a good few years after diagnosis.

Other one, we don't know her age, estimated at 5 but she was small and looked young, think she was older.

Older cats are happy to have a home and lots of love.

I also took in a really old boy, well past being a pensioner, never found out how old he was, he was a dear old gentleman.

mintich Wed 10-Jan-18 15:09:21

I have adopted 3 older cats. True they won't last at long but in my experience I've gained calmer cats. Most people bypass them which is why I like to give them a home

Tiddlywinks63 Wed 10-Jan-18 15:12:50

We adopted a 16 year old cat when a friend emigrated- she lived to 28 with no health problems. She was a tiny cat, very affectionate and settled in as soon as she arrived.

QueenOfAccidentalDeathStares Wed 10-Jan-18 15:27:10

ok Tiddly , you win ! 28 is impressive.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 10-Jan-18 15:42:42

I would happily adopt an older cat. I don't get the fuss about kittens. Cute as they are. I'd rather have an adult.

Footdrama Wed 10-Jan-18 16:14:45

Wow, how lovely. It’s so nice to hear so many positive happy endings. My Ds who is 13 talks to every cat on his walk to school, he cannot wait.

Thanks for sharing and I’ll keep you updated.

Cliveybaby Wed 10-Jan-18 16:27:56

I'd love an older cat.
We have two - one we got as a kitten, and she's not very nice, bites and is just generally mental. She's only just settling down now she's nearly 6.
The other was a stray, about the same age, is lovely!
Kitten's are funny and cute to look at but a massive pain to look after IME!

mrsBeverleyGoldberg Wed 10-Jan-18 16:36:13

We got a cat because his owner was a neighbour and they were arrested. He was ten at the time. He was very traumatised by the event that lead to the arrest and the SOC officers collecting evidence etc. We kept him in the shower room for two weeks with the door shut and plenty of visits. Then we left the door open but the bedroom door to the hall shut. We were worried he'd run away and get confused. Then we left the doors open. We've had him for a year and a half and now he's a demanding, purry, playful and affectionate delight. Also we had a £200 bill to sort his teeth out and more for annual injections. I would never have adopted an older cat but I'm glad we got him.

EyeSaidTheFly Wed 10-Jan-18 17:08:20

I adopted an older cat, she is absolutely gorgeous. I'd have no hesitation whatsoever adopting another one and I actually I don't think I'd get a kitten again. They are adorable but at least with an older cat you know exactly what you're getting. Go for it, OP! You won't regret it, I promise.

brogueish Wed 10-Jan-18 17:11:44

Older cats are much better company ime - kittens are just nutjobs hard work. From what you've posted about the cat you're adopting, she'll be a solid companion and family member, she sounds perfect!

Insurance might be a bit pricier but I've never bothered with it anyway - just put away a sum each month and that's covered everything. Please post pics of her when she moves in smile

Pengweng Wed 10-Jan-18 19:26:41

We adopted an older cat (10 yo at the time) this time last year. She was a very over weight cat with a heart murmur so no one else wanted her but i fell in love with her sarcastic face. She's an absolute sweetheart and great with my two 5 year olds. I think it was a much better choice than getting a kitten who would have been a lot more work.

She now has no trace of a heart murmur (our vet thinks it may have been stress induced). She has however cost us (or our pet insurance a fortune) due to having to go to a dental consultant (£3000 bill) and is currently having treatment for hyperthyroidism at a clinic which injects radio iodine and makes her radioactive for a while but will hopefully mean that she won't have to take daily medication. (cost of just under £2000). She will have to stay there for about a week.

As a side note i would recommend Tesco Pet insurance. They were the only quote we got which didn't include us having to pay a percentage of the total bill. All we pay is the excess of £70.

She wakes me up each morning by licking my face and trying to eat my hair. I miss her sad Hoping she can come back this weekend.

I've attached the obligatory pictures.

Pengweng Wed 10-Jan-18 19:28:07

Oh and please do come back and post photos once all settled in. grin

pterobore Wed 10-Jan-18 20:07:28

I've adopted two older cats. One was a stray in terrible condition, no idea how old she was. But she lived her last nine months with us knowing love, warmth and fish for dinner.

The other was 13 and lived with us until he was 17. He was ABSOLUTELY brilliant. It was an honour to live with such a wonderful cat.

Peanutbuttercheese Wed 10-Jan-18 20:11:13

I adopted a cat who was 8, he was a delight and lived for another five years. He had been a stray for years and had teeth missing and half a tail that was flattened. The vets think his tail had been run over by a car. Kittens and very young cats are much easier to rehime, it's great taking in a harder to rehime cat, they have less of a chance.

Footdrama Wed 10-Jan-18 21:31:38

I will definitely post pictures, and I feel so much more confident that this a good decision. Just waiting for a home check to be carried out.

Pengweng your cat has a wonderful face, I hope they are back home soon.

I find this all really heartwarming smile

SandyBeyatch Wed 10-Jan-18 21:42:41

We got our cat from Celia Hammond cat rescue in London, and can take her back there to be treated by their vet if necessary. It's pretty no frills, but really affordable (we do give a donation though). Maybe your rehoming charity offers something similar?
Our cat was apparently 6 when we got her, vet thinks 10 is probably more accurate, and she is gorgeous, loving and friendly and other than crystals in her urine and overgrown toenails, has never had any health issues.
We've never had a cat before and she has really made our house a home iyswim.

overnightangel Wed 10-Jan-18 22:32:29

Shameless placemark to see new (old) moggy!
Good luck OP

CauliflowerBalti Wed 10-Jan-18 22:38:27

I’m going to be a miserable voice of doom. I adopted an 11 year old cat from the RSPCA with a ‘touch of asthma’. She was PTS a fortnight later by my vet - she actually had emphysema.

The RSPCA were hugely apologetic and said their checks don’t run to scans etc - understandably because of the cost.

I’d brought the cat partly to take mine and my son’s mind off my dad’s death - give us something positive to do, and care for. He died of lung related issues. It was ALL BAD.

My advice would be to get your vet to give her the once over as soon as possible as the rescues only go so far...

And enjoy her. Adopting older animals is lovely. I wouldn’t be put off - but I’d definitely put any medical history under closer scrutiny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: